1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dayton Daily News: Mug shot of writer from another paper with a story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SFIND, Sep 12, 2011.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I pick up a copy of the Dayton Daily News every now and then, as it is the "big" paper in my region. Today, I saw something puzzling in the sports section which I have never seen before in a paper. They had an column in from Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer, and with it, they used a mug shot of Daugherty.

It's nothing new in recent years for them to use Enquirer/Dispatch/Plain Dealer stories from the wire or wherever (and they always list the paper in the byline). I have just never heard of or seen before a paper using a mug shot of a writer from another paper.

Is this unusual, or have I just been living under a rock?

2. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

I think the larger papers in Ohio have some kind of a content sharing agreement, kind of an F-You to AP in the state. So that really doesn't surprise me much.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's not unusual within the same chain, but DDN is a Cox paper and the Enquirer is a Gannett paper. I'd doubt it's unprecedented, but it's certainly not common.

Then again, some papers run mugs for Jim Litke, Tim Dahlberg and Nancy Armour.

4. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Miami did it during the NBA Finals when it ran columnists from the Fort Worth paper.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Both are McClatchy Company papers.

6. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

The eight largest papers in Ohio — the Plain Dealer, the Enquirer, the Columbus Dispatch, the Dayton Daily News, the Akron Beacon Journal, the (Youngstown) Vindicator, the Blade and the Canton Repository — have formed the Ohio News Organization. They share content and do bigger things together (projects, polls, etc.)

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I still just thought it was a bit odd that they used a mug shot of another's papers columnist, even with their content sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted