1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daytime Friends

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HeinekenMan, Feb 26, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I have a night-time lover, but it dawned upon me recently that I don't really have many friends who live in the same state. I've been here in the south now for almost two years, and I've yet to play a round of golf. I've been out for beers twice. Once when I took a job and then again when I quit said job.

I'm just curious as to how people develop new friendships when they're starting over in a new city. I'd like to join a softball team or something. Aside from work-related acquiantances, though, I truly don't know anyone.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't think it's just me; it's one thing you find out early about working night-time. There aren't a whole awful lot of guys to do day-time stuff with ... outside of co-workers.

But in the past year, I re-united with one of my old high-school buddies, who I hadn't known was working 10 miles away. We now go out to lunch every other Friday, and it's great.

3. HeinekenMan

Well, as a stringer, I have a lot of free nights as well. So the title probably should have been more general. I did meet one person today who could have been a friend. She wore a black skirt and seemed a little strung-out. After buying a pack of smokes, she walked across four lanes of traffic with her leather satchel on her shoulder. According to a gas station employee, " she said she worked strictly late night, early morning."

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That's a friend most stringers cannot afford to have. ;)

5. HeinekenMan

Touche

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I've got five friends. We hang out at an coffee shop in the city and frolick in a water fountain. We know we'll be there for each other.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

... nighttime lovers, hopin' no one else discovers ... [/bad70skennyrogerssong]

8. HeinekenMan

Wouldn't it be six friends? You're forgetting to count Rosie Palmer.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I got nothin'. Since my divorce five years ago, I haven't figured how or where people make friends. I'm lost.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, but then you try to make the Rembrandts play that song in 8 seconds.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If you're under 40, see if there's a young professionals group in your area.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I'll just say that shifting from a regular newspaper job to what I do now, dayside, M-F, was one of the harder things I have done.
    It sounds stupid, but it really has been tough.

Draft saved Draft deleted