1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Days Like Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Days like today sometimes make this profession feel rewarding.

Yesterday, I got my knuckles rapped by management. Nothing serious, but enough to piss off both sides for a week, or so.

Today, I received a pair of e-mails complimenting two pieces. The first came from someone without a tie to the subject/story in anyway. Just a "your story was great" e-mail. The second came from someone with a slight tie to a different story. He just wanted to say "nice article" and "good work."

For anyone feeling down, just remember you may open your inbox tomorrow, next week or next month and it all becomes worthwhile again.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Or you could open your e-mail and find something from a high school sports parent that is just so absurdly stupid that it gives you a good laugh for the entire day.

3. Pi

Pi Member

Or better still, you could open your e-mail to discover you've won some obscure European lottery and all they need is your checking account number to deposit the cash.

Got one of those yesterday. As soon as the deposit posts, I am soooooo telling my boss to kiss it.

4. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Pete, I know the feeling today because my first story for an online site got published today and not only did it feel rewarding to see my name under the fine print, but to hear that the people in charge were impressed with my work.

I have had days where I asked myself where the hell I was heading because the boss I have been working for and I have had philosophical differences for the last four years. Some days, I just didn't want to work.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

or you could just write a column ripping soccer.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I opened my e-mail today and there was a note from a woman who couldn't fit her boyfriend's gigantic cock in her tiny mouth. Seriously.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so, did you open that bad boy up at work?

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's JRC's newest strategy to "impove employee morale."

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Close. It was a phone call from the parent of a player on one of our regional Babe Ruth teams that are playing in the World Series this week (we have two teams playing, one in the 16-year-old and the other in the 16-18). Wondered why we weren't out covering when the team left at 4 a.m. yesterday morning, and why we weren't there when the other team left for its Series at 3 a.m. today. THIS IS A BIG DEAL AND THESE ARE LOCAL KIDS!!!!

Was there a ceremony, a big sendoff? Nope, they just loaded up the bus and left. But that would have made a great story, she said. YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN OUT THERE IF THERE WERE KIDS FROM THE LOCAL CATHOLIC SCHOOL ON THE TEAM, BECAUSE THAT'S ALL YOU COVER.

Um, we're doing a preview story for tomorrow's paper, with a roster box and a schedule box for each tournament, and we have freelancers lined up to help us out with game coverage.

"Oh," she said. Then hung up.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm sorry my mistress Sophia emailed you.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

forward her cosmo's e-mail and include: hope the team doesn't suck.

12. donaugust

donaugust Member

Yesterday I was interviewing people for a story on the 35W bridge collapse so today is certainly a much better day.

Draft saved Draft deleted