1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Day-after Stanley Cup column

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by playthrough, Jun 20, 2006.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/14857871.htm

I'd be curious to hear what others think, but this seems a tad harsh for the day after the almost-home team (Raleigh to Charlotte) wins it all. Clearly gets tongue-in-cheek at the end, but still...doesn't sound like he's planning on attending the victory parade.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What exactly was the point of that column?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

It was the long way to say: "I don't like hockey"

4. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

what an asinine column.

5. wheaties

wheaties Member

It was the long way to say: "Nobody outside of Raleigh gave a shit about the Hurricanes until last night, and even then, only a few people gave a shit. So let's not pretend like everybody in Charlotte is celebrating today."

And since I live in Charlotte, I can tell you he's right.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Does anybody in Charlotte care about the hockey team in Raleigh?

Does anybody in Raleigh care about the pro basketball team in Charlotte?

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

When I got to the end, I could just picture the designer whipping up a giant 393 headline while simultaneously drooling, having multiple orgasms (whether male or female), crapping his/her drawers and oozing ear wax.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Of course, you're right but it's still a dumbass column. Smug fucker.

And it only confirms what most hockey fans have known all along: cities below the Mason-Dixon line don't deserve hockey teams.

And it's a further burr under the saddle of Canadians who know that  if the 'Canes were the Winnipeg Blockheaters and won, all of Manitoba would be hung over today.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Doubtful. They'd still be drunk, which isn't the same thing.

This guy -- actually, smug fucker really does say it best -- also needs to learn that the NHL only has one championship round per year. Therefore, it's the Stanley Cup Final, not Finals.

The NBA fucked up in the naming of its own championship round but that does not make it correct. Hey, there's Jason Whitlock's next NBA Finals column idea. You're welcome, big guy.

10. wheaties

wheaties Member

You're right. And that's why I was rooting for Edmonton. (Actually, I was mainly rooting for the game to end in regulation for deadline purposes, but you know what I mean.)

The last two cup winners probably excited about 1/10th of the people a Canadian team would have. Maybe even 1/100th. And while you might not have liked Sorenson's approach, his point is essentially that.

It's better than him writing a "This is wonderful; now more of us will like hockey" column.

11. Does anybody in Charlotte care about the pro basketball team in Charlotte?
    www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2006/06/19/story3.html?from_rss=1

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

JR, you're such a hoser. ;D

(But that was a stupid column. Why oh why do sports columnists insist on telling us how much they don't care/don't pay attention/don't like X sport? If your job is to be a sports columnist, I don't want to read you bragging about how ignorant you are about X sport. It's not cute. It's not cool. It just makes you look dense. So find me somebody else to do your damn job, if you don't want to do it.)

Draft saved Draft deleted