1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Davy Jones has been dead a week, but Smasher doesn't like the thread title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 29, 2012.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Re: Davy Jones is bound for Davy Jones' locker (RIP)

Best Monkees cover ever:

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As unfunny a thread title as has ever been penned here. Hard to believe you're a writer.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

You missed some of the underlying comedy in it, then. The Monkees played that on two levels.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Green Acres" had a "Mad Magazine" subtext, in which they constantly took little needling shots at politicians.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can you fill out this story for those of us who don't know it?

6. jr/shotglass

How much don't you know? The Kirshner connection? Or Nesmith and MTV?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Give me both, but the MTV part for sure.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

My top-of-the-head recollection is that Mike pretty much invented the genre of music videos.

9. jr/shotglass

The Kirshner part I'm fairly well-versed in. The MTV part, I'm clueless about as well.

The producers of the Monkees hired Kirshner to provide hit songs for the TV show ... and remember, there were no Monkees before the TV show. They were specifically hired to play a rock band.

Now, all four had enough vocal talent to hold up that end of it. But Kirshner decided early on that instrumentally, they weren't polished enough to turn out these new songs for every episode. So he decreed that studio musicians would handle the playing of the instruments, and the Monkees would fake it.

This worked for a while, although Mike Nesmith particularly didn't like the idea. But they began to build pressure on Kirshner in the second season, and then fans who heard that the Monkees weren't playing on their albums began to press the issue. Kirshner was dismissed in that second season because he released the Monkees doing Neil Diamond's "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You," without Columbia Records' consent.

And the Monkees began performing on their own instruments. Their sales also dropped dramatically when that happened.

The next time Kirshner dealt with a TV-show rock band, it was The Archies. He said in an interview that it was like the Monkees, except he didn't have a bunch of real-life pseudo-musicians bothering him about playing on the album.

10. Re: Davy Jones is bound for Davy Jones' locker (RIP)

Today Davy Jones died but this weekend he gets baptized into the Mormon Church.

So he's got that going for him.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Mike Nesmith developed a show for Nickolodeon called "PopClips" that was a half-hour block of music videos with a host. Nickolodeon's corporate owners Time Warner/AMEX took the idea and developed it in MTV. If I remember from reading "I Want My MTV" recently, Nesmith had a chance to be a lead executive at MTV when it started but turned it down and got a small stake instead.

I also seem to remember that Davy Jones was actually a trained drummer, but Kirshner decided that he didn't want him stuck behind the drums in the "band" so Mickey Dolenz wound up doing it while Jones played tambourine and looked cute.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Banana Splits. Just sayin.

Draft saved Draft deleted