1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Davy Jones has been dead a week, but Smasher doesn't like the thread title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Re: Davy Jones is bound for Davy Jones' locker (RIP)

Getting the funniest looks as he walks through the pearly gates.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Excellent line!

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He was at a Club Med I was at back in 1995 or so in the Bahamas. Very approachable, very friendly, he'd just hang out on the beach with his family. He and his band played a show for every one one night. Probably got that gig in exchange for a week at the resort, which was a nice tradeoff.

Also saw the Monkees (minus Nesmith) do a pregame concert at Candlestick in the mid-1990s. It was a well-played, well-received show.

I enjoyed their TV show, about the only thing remotely hip on TV for a teenager back in the day. Supposedly Steven Stills wasn't selected because he had bad teeth.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"The Monkees," the whole production, i.e. the songwriters, producers, studio musicians, and to some extent the actors, put out a lot of great pop music in the Sixties. I have probably a half-dozen Sixties collections and almost all of them have a Monkee song or two on them, and they're always fun to listen to.

That said, I saw a couple episodes of the teevee show a couple weeks ago on one of our "retro" channels, and I was just astonished how stupid, lazy and slap-dash the shows were, even for a teenybopper Sixties show. Next to this dreck, the Partridge Family and Brady Bunch were Shakespeare productions.

Even as a grade-school kid in the Sixties, I remember nobody watched the Monkees because the shows were just too dumb.

5. Boom_70

You really had to drop some acid before watching to understand.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Haven't seen an episode in years. But as I recall, the plotlines were something akin to a live action version of Scooby Doo (i.e., the band spending a half-hour solving a mystery or helping a friend out of a jam).

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

One of the episodes I saw featured Nesmith spending half the episode in drag playing a princess or something. Amusing in a yuk-yuk way for the first 2 minutes, grinding and tedious the next 28.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Looks like now he will be someone's stepping stone.

RIP

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So magical he killed off the Brady Bunch.
    Oh that was cousin Oliver, not "Oliver!"

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"The Monkees" was not "Masterpiece Theatre." Far from it. But for a 14-year-old kid it beat the hell out of Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, My Mother the Car, the Lucy Show, Mayberry RFD, the Beverly Hillbillies or the overwhelming number of other sitcoms directed at the soon-to-be-characterized "Silent Majority."

NBC had some forward thinkers back in the day. The Monkees, James at 16, Laugh-In, Then Came Bronson, those shows were almost radical for that era.

12. Boom_70

Hah only starman could find fault with a kids TV show.

Draft saved Draft deleted