1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Davy Johnson Thinks You're All A-Holes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

From a Verducci article in this weeks SI On Davey Johnson:

"Listen," the manager told them, "I didn't even really want to have a meeting, but when you're losing, the media thinks you're supposed to have a meeting. So I figured this would make me look real damn smart. And besides, by having this meeting we can keep those a------- out of here for a while."

The room broke up laughing. Dad was on a roll.

"I have no problem with your effort or your preparation. This is a damn good team, and I'm with you. But when we lose, it's hard on the coaches and the manager. We don't sleep as good. So could you please start winning a few damn games and make it easier on this old guy?"

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the story of Davey's meeting with the '86 Mets after they trashed their airplane when they won the NLCS.

Frank Cashen was pissed off at the $10,000 bill, gave it to Davey and told him to scream at the team for it. Davey starts out doing that, the team starts to feel bad, then Davey changes tack and says Cashen and the airline can go fuck themselves and tears up the bill as the players roar.

3. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

The flight to which Baron refers is legendary. I got to know one of the 1986 Mets. Good lord, the stories.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Well, now you've got to tell us a few.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Johnson knew how to loosen up his team, and you think he cares about anything else? That's a good pep talk from a smart manager.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Who is Davy Johnson?

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

He's the dude with the locker, isn't he?

Draft saved Draft deleted