1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Davidson students get free trip to Sweet 16

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, Mar 27, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet that more than a few Davidson students have parents with their own planes.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Davidson...the Harvard of the South.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously, is Davidson well thought of in academic // hiring circles?

41 grand sounds like an awful lot to go to a college with no name recognition.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Brother-in-law went there, but he's not an elite by any stretch. His story is kind of interesting because a local benefactor took an interest in him (high-achieving only child of a single schoolteacher) and paid his tuition for undergrad and law school. To address Davidson's reputation: Yes, it's very well thought of academically, and the workload is freaking rigorous, or so say some others I know who went there.

And my brother-in-law has been popping the Steph Curry replica jersey my sister got him for Christmas.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Davidson's excellent reputation is well earned. Not sure, though, that any place is worth 41,000 a year.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Another thing that was addressed in the story but not on the board is the free laundry service for Davidson students (or included in the $41K, if you want). That doesn't mean they can do their laundry for free. It means they can drop off their laundry and pick it up the next day, pressed and folded.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, hell, that makes up the difference right there. All those quarters I had to send through the mail *** it adds up.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you're going to pay that kind of coin to go to a school, it better be one that guarantees you a top job the second you graduate...

I have a friend whose daughter is going to a liberal arts school that almost nobody has heard of and he's paying $38K a year for her to study philosophy...

People can have the conversation with their kids "You know if you're going to have a bullshit major, do it at a public school for a third of the price..."

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That, plus the 41K per year tuition, is certainly relevant here. It's a nice gesture, but this isn't exactly a charitable act for the needy that we're talking about here. It's a rich school doing something for a group of predominantly rich kids who they hope will be generous alumni contributors someday.

10. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Davidson is smaller (1,700 enrollment) than many Division III schools. That's why they can do it. There are that many people taking a leak at most state universities at any one moment.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Only 1700 students and a $400 million endowment? Yeah, I think they can afford it.

12. Pretty campus and collegetown, too.
    I think it is also very well thought-of as a pre-law, pre-med, undergrad institution.

Draft saved Draft deleted