1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Davidson students get free trip to Sweet 16

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John, Mar 27, 2008.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

This is pretty impressive, as is the annual $40K-plus tuition.

DAVIDSON, N.C. (AP) -- One of Davidson College's famous perks is the free laundry service for students. Now the school is adding another freebie: watching the Wildcats play in the NCAA tournament's round of 16.

The school's board of trustees set up a fund Wednesday to pay for any student wishing to travel to Detroit to see Davidson play Wisconsin in the Midwest Regional semifinals. Students will get free bus transportation, two nights lodging and a ticket to Friday's game.

Behind sophomore sensation Stephen Curry, Davidson upset Gonzaga and Georgetown last week for the school's first NCAA tournament wins in 39 years.

While the drop-off laundry service and trip to Detroit are free, annual tuition at the exclusive, liberal-arts school is just under $41,000 a year.

2. Very cool.
    Go 'cats!

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That IS a nice gesture.

But DAYUM...$41,000 a year for tuition? That's a lot of scratch.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

They gotta pay people to go to Detroit.

That's not news.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

the president of my cheap-ass alma mater has no idea why he just vomited all over his desk.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Now, if you excuse me, I'll be enrolling in Davidson's journalism school tonight.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I didn't need another reason to root for Davidson.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Davidson's endowment in 2005 was about $385 million, so it's probably over $400 million today. It can afford a few bus tickets.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm sure they'll love the trip until they get drilled by the Badgers.

Hopefully they'll help cheer Villanova on as they beat the fucking Jayhawks.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

And that's what everyone thought when they played Georgetown ...

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Uh, not everybody.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

So you had Davidson making it this far? I don't know any of my friends who did ...

Draft saved Draft deleted