1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Whitley to AOL?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone? Anyone?

2. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

Apparently true

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

4. pallister

pallister Guest

Whitley is one of the few sportswriters I enjoy reading.

5. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

So who is the sports editor --- or whatever the title is ----- at AOL? Seems like he or she is getting some things done.

6. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

7. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

What is AOL? Is this 1997?

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

AOL's political site continues to scoop up newspaper journalists as well, from the RMN, Sun-Times, USA Today, Wash. Post ..

http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/0409/Sweet_Lawrence_join_AOL_politics_site.html
    Melinda Henneberger, editor of PoliticsDaily.com, AOL’s forthcoming politics site, continues scooping up talent from the struggling newspaper and magazine industries
    Jill Lawrence, a national political correspondent at USA Today, just gave notice this morning that she’ll be joining the site as a columnist.
    And Henneberger will have another big-time Washington reporter contributing: Lynn Sweet of the Chicago Sun-Times
    Henneberger told POLITICO that Sweet will be writing a column and blog on Michelle Obama — a possible title is “Daily FLOTUS.”
    Sweet, who’ll continue as a Sun-Times political columnist, confirmed the news by phone.
    “I’m very, very excited about this new venture,” Sweet said. “I’m very excited about being part of the new team.”
    It makes sense that newspaper reporters might be looking at other journalism models: the Sun-Times recently filed for Chapter 11, while Gannett — USA Today’s parent — just announced a second round of furloughs.
    “It was less the company than the industry,” Lawrence said, of the move. “Things seem to be on a bad trajectory.”
    Lawrence said she’s excited about working at a start-up and getting back into column writing.
    But Lawrence and Sweet aren’t the only ones writing for the new site, slated to launch on April 27.
    Last month, a few hires were reported: National Journal correspondent Carl Cannon, USA Today columnist Walter Shapiro, and Citizen Jane Politics founder Patricia Murphy.
    Now, three former newspaper editors have signed up, too: Peter Kaufman, (Washington Post); Cliff Foster (Rocky Mountain News); and Jan Battaile (Washington bureau of the NY Times).
    Linda Kulman, recently a senior writer at U.S. News and World Report, will be covering education. And former Washington Post columnist Donna Britt will be writing a regular column.
    Henneberger said the non-partisan site will be more of a magazine — with thematic pieces and profiles — rather than focus on breaking news. “It’s not an attempt to dominate the 10-second news cycle,” she said.
    Other contributors will include conservative commentator Matt Lewis, Beliefnet’s Steve Waldman of Beliefnet.com, Commonweal’s David Gibson, and Newsweek’s Karen Breslau.

And Henneberger said there will be a woman-focused blog called "Woman Up" with over 20 contributors, including former POLITICO writer Helena Andrews, former Dallas mayor Laura Miller, novelist Laura Lippman, and ex-Fader editor Alex Wagner.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Rough week for Sentinel sports ...

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Do we know what Whitley will cover for AOL? Is he going to be a columnist, and if so, on what beat(s)?

11. carolinafever

carolinafever New Member

From Sports Business Daily (3-19-09):

AOL Sports GM DERRICK HEGGANS has left the company 14 months after taking over the portal’s sports operations and helping implement a sweeping series of operational changes, including a shift to Fanhouse.com as the destination’s consumer-facing brand. Heggans said the departure was not related to planned staff cuts of about 700 people across AOL -- 10% of the company’s workforce -- over the next several fiscal quarters. Heggans additionally said he was not forced out. "We’ve done a lot to change the programming formula and make AOL Sports relevant again from where you could say it had sort of fallen off the radar,” Heggans said. "The house is essentially now built, and I felt like my role was going to be less impactful going forward, and I’m interested in being impactful." Heggans, who prior to joining AOL in '05 held executive roles with Collegiate Images, the NFL and the then-Advantage Int'l, said he does not have his next career stop planned. "I’m a free agent, and I haven’t really been one before, and I’m looking forward to it. The timing may seem crazy, given the economy, but I’m really comfortable with the concept." Heggans’ other moves at Fanhouse.com included the hiring of columnists JAY MARIOTTI, KEVIN BLACKISTONE and LISA OLSON and the purchase of fantasy site Fleaflicker.com. AOL execs said oversight of Fanhouse.com will now be shared by Exec Editor SCOTT RIDGE and AOL Senior VP/Programming MARTY MOE, who was Heggans' former boss. "This was a personal decision. We're very happy for Derrick and we wish him well in whatever he decides to do," said AOL spokesperson ALYSIA LEW. "Derrick was instrumental in a lot of changes to Fanhouse, and we have a lot more exciting changes coming up for us."

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Seems like it would be easier to be "impactful" and to get another job while still in your current job.

Draft saved Draft deleted