1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Vitter -- Sex Machine

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog428

dog428 Active Member

You know, I'll say the same thing I said about Clinton: As long as the guy's doing the job he's being paid to do, I could give a shit who he's screwing on the side.

I think it's a little different in a case like this simply because the guy has promoted this wholesome, family-values image. That makes him very disingenious.

But the big question for me is, is the guy doing a decent job? If so, honestly, I couldn't give two shits about this stuff.

If W could accomplish half the things Clinton did in office, I wouldn't give a damn if he was screwing male interns on the White House lawn.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'll leave the rectum stabbing to you and Fenian, since you seem to enjoy doing it so much with each other.

Secondly, if you go on TV and give these passionate speeches about how good your marriage is, how all of the accusations against your husband are false, about how happy your family is...you are in effect telling the nation you believe very much in family values.

That's all a part of the show that we call politics. Politicians choose their clothes based on how they think it will resonate with their particular audience. They choose their words and their venues the same way.

You can campaign on something without actually ever uttering the words.

You might not understand that concept because Fenian hasn't told it to you yet, but you keep reading his posts and looking at his pictures and maybe some day you'll be able to contribute more to the adult conversations on this board than "You go Fenian, you are the man. Yawn and Zagoshe are such jerks. LOL"

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jesus, you really are a dunce.

Here's a hint. Family values do not equal "family values".

By your reasoning, every candidate is exactly the same since every candidate has a family, and every candidate has values.

The fickle mistress logic consistently escapes your grasp.

4. zagoshe

Every candidate doesn't flaunt their families in order to make themselves look like the Beaver Cleaver household. Only candidates who are desperately trying to win points with the crowd that still values family values, which is a large portion of mainstream America.

What is amazing is the left tries to use the "family values" debate as a negative against the right (and as a code word to call them out as homophobes), yet the left panders to "working families" and middle American values just as much as the right does. How many times did Slick Willy claim one of his ridiculous, outlandish early ideas (that is until 1994 when his direction was soundly thrashed by the voters thus forcing him to become far more moderate and even borderline conservative on most issues) was "for the children"

I mean, which presidential candidate, the one who is a senator from New York, err, Arkansas, was it that recently joined forces with Focus on the Family and many other religious groups to call for certain provisions of the immigration bill, the ones that (her words, dipshit) "were not pro-family" to be rejected?

Here is an excerpt from a Time Magazine article (I know Time is a bunch of right-wing nuts too) from 1992 that might help you out.....

During the Democratic Convention, Bill Clinton and Al Gore staged a sort of pre-emptive celebration of family values, claiming the issue for themselves. How well they succeeded remains to be seen. They know the danger of Democrats' seeming promiscuously tolerant of all bizarreness in some aging '60s, Phil Donahue fashion. Clinton has often sounded virtually Republican in his insistence on personal responsibility.

It doesn't shock me that you don't understand this concept because you are such a mushhead, but soon I'm sure Fenian will tell you all about it soon and then you can join in the discussion as well.

Run along now.

5. zagoshe

Now see, here is something I agree with.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not one word of this addresses your original argument, or its completely laughable logic.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Last time I checked, they were still married, still pretty damn happy together and managed to raise a good daughter who has done them proud. And they never --- NEVER --- proclaimed their values to be BETTER than their political opponents.

The average American family should be so screwed up.

Personally, I don't care what Vitter does.

But until the GOP issues a news release that states: "Please forgive our attempts at trying to portray ourselves as more moral than our opponents. We are all sinners in this regard, none better than the other." . . . their hypocrisy will be lampooned.

8. zagoshe

Yes so happy they have barely lived in the same house since he left office and their marriage is best described by people close to them as a political and business arrangement that works for both of them.

And I must have missed the memo that the GOP sent out that said "we are more moral than our opponents and we are better than everybody and we are not sinners."

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm not sure that the hypocrisy here lies merely in the exhausted stump rhetoric of "Family Values." That's a dead, empty phrase for both sides these days.

It seems to me, though, that only Vitter's side of the aisle is actually trying to legislate who can do what, and to whom, in the bedroom. I hope Vitter never spoke a word, for example, about the threat gay marriage poses to the heavenly sanctity of the pact between husband and wife.

10. zagoshe

I agree to an extent --- but there are extremists and whackos on both sides of the aisle who want to legislate a whole lot of kookacracy. And to sit here and act as if they Republicans are the only ones who are guilty of being hypocritical is plain asinine.

It is no different than champion of the poor and fiscal responsibility John Edwards getting $1200 hair cuts. None at all. Edwards and most democrats want to legislate how we spend our money -while most Republicans want to tell us how to live our lives.

I for one wish both sides would take a fucking hike and get their version of government out of my life for good.

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I remember reading that NYTimes article about the Clintons and how much time - it wasn't much - they spent together. And all I could think of was compared to what?
    The story didn't make any comparisons to the travel and work schedules of any other senator or CEO-type that globe trots. And I know lots of happily married couples that have non-traditional living arrangements.
    More importantly, who am I to judge someone else's marriage from a distance?
    But again, anytime a scandal envelops a Republican, the first name that gets trotted out is Clinton.
    Some people just need to get a new schtick.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There's no memo. They just shout it from the rooftops every day.

You did see the "Call me, Harold" ad that Bob Corker ran in the Tennessee senate race, didn't you? That pretty much sums up how the right tries to portray the left . . .

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.