1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"David Stern Sucks"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So said Mark Cuban on Romey today. That should draw a fine. Seems like we are heading to a showdown.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

This "showdown" is great for the NBA. I think Mark Cuban brings some things to this league it has been sorely lacking,

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The context in which Cuban said it was OK by me. He was just saying that Stern is trying to control all multimedia and money making opportunities and that the owners should have a say in some of these things, especially if the owners have better ideas and can make more money off of it.
    I personally thought it was funny.

5. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Paging Tommy Dreamer....Tommy Dreamer, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The truth is no defense, Mr. Cuban.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

We've been headed that way for a long time now. Nothing new here from Cuban.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Like excitement? (Hi Chuck~Taylor! :D)

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Ouch :D

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But it's funny because it's true...

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I'm sure Stern will fine him, though I don't know why it's a fineable offense. I'm sure there are people out in my readership who don't like my stories much.. I wish I could tag them for 50 bucks every time they say something about it.

Maybe Cuban didn't use the proper tact... but tact has never been his thing. Everybody knows he doesn't like Stern, and it's not just because Stern has rang him up for more than a million in fines. He just doesn't like the man. What's the big deal?

12. If Stern fines Cuban for that, it's just silly. To me, it's one thing if he fines Cuban for some of his antics or if he critcizes the officiating, but to fine him for a negative comment about the commissioner is silly.
    First, it makes Stern seem pretty thin-skinned. Also, it just gives Cuban even more attention and more credibility and actually makes the situation worse for Stern.
    Cuban is good for the NBA. Stern needs to recognize this.
    Now, we can have a whole different discussion about whether people should be fined/reprimanded for criticizing the officials. Personally, I feel like they are WAY too protected. There was a report a few years ago in the Lubbock paper about what officials make. Someone can probably remember it or find the link, but I remember college refs were paid an INSANE amount per game (like more than $1,000 per game, plus a per diem, plus travel expenses) and I want to say it was the same for women's basketball as well.
    Anyone paid that much per night should be able to take a little public criticism, damnit.

Draft saved Draft deleted