1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Stern makes people like Jim Rome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 13, 2012.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Just like the math teachers told us. Don't just show us the answer. Let me see your work.

It would be one thing if none of it was televised. But televising the results and not what gave the results would be like revealing the Kentucky Derby winners by envelope.

"And the Place winner is . . . Bodemeister. That means I'll Have Another wins the Derby. Yippee!"

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I like Rome, but he didn't ask the question very well... To be fair, I've heard Stern asked similar questions that were asked well and he responds in an identical manner.

I think part of the reason there are so many conspiracy theories about the NBA is because Stern is the way he is. They call him Dr. Evil for a reason and anybody who has ever met him or dealt with him kind of leaves with the feeling that Stern is the type of guy who would cheat or fix something if he thought it was in the best interest of the league.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Nicely done.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Stern sounded tired and grumpy. The Stephen A. Smith shot was good, though.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I assure you that if Rome was still at ESPN, Stern's answer would have been much different in tone. But Rome's no longer with a rightsholder. Stern's an arrogant ass, which means there were two of them in that interview.

6. Mizzougrad96

If Rome was still at ESPN he either wouldn't have asked the question or he would have been disciplined if he asked the question...

I still think ESPN is to blame for the Donaghy scandal not being considered what it really is, one of the biggest scandals since the The Black Sox.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The machine they use could -- and I say COULD, since we're talking conspiracy theories -- be rigged for a certain outcome too. The magic ping pong balls could be weighted (literally, not in an odds way) to favor a certain team, or the air flow and openings in the machine can be manipulated. There's a lot of subtle technological ways to influence the outcome that no reporter or accounting firm would ever think or have the capability to check.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

The thread title is a huge overstatement. It will take a lot more than that.

9. Mizzougrad96

If you can watch the video of the 1985 draft lottery and not think there was anything shady going on, then you're a more trusting person than I am.

The other years? I don't know... If I had to bet, I'd guess that the lottery has been fixed a handful of times, maybe 4 or 5... There's really only been that many where it would have been in the league's best interest to do it, based on the information had going into the draft.

I've heard some interesting theories about some teams, namely Charlotte and Orlando, being "rewarded" for building new arenas.

I'm not saying I believe that, but I do wish they would go to a system where tampering would be impossible. That's easier said than done in a league where one certain player can take a team from league doormat to contender for the next decade and tanking is very easy, far easier than any other sport.

10. Mizzougrad96

Nobody will ever convince me otherwise.

11. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

Listened to it this morning and it was interesting to hear Stern sounding like that. Not sure I'd ever heard him be that snippy in an interview. Perhaps I've listened to the wrong interviews, though.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If you had specific balls representing certain teams, perhaps.

But with 14 balls, and the four balls coming out representing one of 1,000 number combinations assigned to one of the teams (2-5-7-12 belongs to the Hornets, for example), I'm not sure what you could do to rig it.

Draft saved Draft deleted