1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Stern makes people like Jim Rome

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jun 13, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Jim Rome asks David Stern a softball question and Stern acts like it's the worst question he's ever heard.

Rome asks, "Is the lottery rigged?" Obviously a set up for Stern to defend the lottery and call people who question the lottery's integrity idiots. Instead, Stern insults Rome and implies Rome uses cheap questions to further his career:

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/13/david-stern-jim-rome-interview-on-lottery-turns-nasty/

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Heard that earlier today. About drove off the road when Stern said "Do you still beat your wife?"

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I've never cared for either one of them. And now, I like each of them even less.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Just call the commissioner Chris one more time.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's exactly how Stern sounded at the post-Donaghy press conference when he was asked if the league has an integrity problem.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Non-biglead link for audio:

http://deadspin.com/5918141/david-stern-asked-jim-rome-have-you-stopped-beating-your-wife-yet-as-todays-interview-turned-ugly

7. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

In my opinion, it was a dumb question, from the standpoint of, as a journalist -- and I know Rome is an entertainer, not a journalist -- it's paramount to know the answer to the question before you ask. 100 times out of 100, Stern is going to answer "No" to that question. There's no upside, other than a pissing match, which doesn't really pull out new information. Surely there are other questions to be asked regarding that situation, such as moves to avoid such conflicts in the future, perhaps giving the team with the worst record a better chance to win the No. 1 pick, etc.

Stern's comeback regarding Charlotte and "his buddy MJ" winning the pick was equally stupid. Most people believed that is what should have happened, David.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Whether people believed that or not there is a segment of the NBA fan world that would still believe it was fixed. Stern is right about that.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It was a legit question and curse you, David Stern, for making me defend Jim Rome!

But a large segment of the fan base believe the lottery is/has been rigged. I think you answer that by saying how secure your procedure is or how foolish it would be to favor one team.

10. Clown question, bro.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What kind of beer do you like to enjoy after rigging the NBA lottery, David?

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Too bad Jim Everett didn't put Romey Boy's head through the floorboards.

Draft saved Draft deleted