1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Sims is carrying us to Week 9 of the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 28, 2014.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

BTW, am I missing something? What David Sims wore No. 9 for an NFL team?

I remember the Seahawks RB from Georgia Tech who had one good year in the 1970s and the Eagles have a safety named David Sims, but neither are/were No. 9.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Andy Reid used to swear by Mornhinweg. I'm guessing he doesn't anymore, otherwise he'd be with him in Kansas City, or maybe he'll be there after this season.

As a HC, he was a disaster.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I see him more as a Wade Phillips type with personality

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

Dallas defense is not good. It's mostly well hidden because the Cowboys lead the league in time of possession (at least they did until they got trounced in that category last night -- I haven't checked the NFL stats today).

And unless there is some sort of utter, total, unignorable collapse, Dallas will not be looking for a head coach.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

Maybe in the fact that he's a defense first, last and only guy.

Otherwise, you couldn't find two more opposite people than Wade Phillips and Rex Ryan.

6. Nothing .. Instead of the uniform number tie-in (which limits us to QBs and such) I tried the wayback machine rematches... In this case: Week 9 1978, Oakland and Seattle. The Seahawks with Sims in his last full season (i think) went 9-7.

7. You know we are talking about the Cowboys, right? ;)

I saw on NFL on Fox - Sunday, I think - they were talking about better the defense was compared to expectations. I haven't seen Dallas play this year and have not seen the stats either.

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Unlike Buddy, I don't think Rex alienates one half of his roster. All of Buddy's guys were on defense and the rest of the team was a liability in his eyes. It seems like Rex cares about the offensive players (to the extent any NFL HC does) but just not about the offense itself.

9. No arguments on those points. I think his offensive skills at play-calling, personnel flat-out suck.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Buddy was so backward in his thinking that he thought his quarterback had to make three or four plays a game and they'd win.
    That is not all that far removed from the philosophy that has been employed with the Jets.
    Or from some of the Ravens teams he coached for, either.

11. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I always got the impression that players really like Ryan. I got that sense when he was with the Ravens and now with the Jets.

I'm very curious what will happen. I'd love to see him go somewhere else and be successful because it will expose the Jets even more for being such a shitty franchise. But, if you look at the teams that are likely to have openings, it's kind of hard to say, "Oh, Rex would be a good fit here."

I'd love to see him in a really small market like Buffalo.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

OK, got it. No prob. I looked it up and Sims (who I mostly remember as the other halfback with Eddie Lee Ivery in Tech's wishbone) scored 14 touchdowns for Seattle in 1978 and was out of the league in 1980.

Draft saved Draft deleted