1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Sims is carrying us to Week 9 of the NFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 28, 2014.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Their 24-23 loss on the road to Detroit is a more impressive performance than a OT win at home against Tampa Bay. In fact, I think you have the strong case that their only good home performance was this week (since 20-9 against a shittastic Vikings team that was still figuring out life without AP AND had its starting QB go down in the second quarter isn't exactly impressive).

2. So you think Rex Ryan will have success elsewhere?
    Really?

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

You don't? He seems to be a very good defensive coach.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

For a defensive prodigy there are a lot of really bad blowouts in his Jets tenure.
    45-3, 49-19, 49-9 type of games.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He's also one of the few coaches who consistently gives Manning and Brady issues. Doesn't result in a lot of victories, but he does seem to know how to frustrate them in ways the rest of the league doesn't. I'm not sure he has the temperament to be an NFL head coach over the long run, but I do think he should get another chance somewhere that's not a funny farm. It wasn't an accident he took two moderately-talented teams to the AFC Championship.

As for Idzik, why the Jets thought it would be a good idea to replace a capologist with another capologist is a mystery.

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I don't know why a father and son who show such aptitude for one side of the ball can't understand the other.
    If anything they should apprehend more of offense spending a lifetime trying to stifle it.
    And Buddy's offenses were even more Cro-Magnon, diagrammed on cave walls.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

He's no Mel Tucker.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The perception last year was if he was fired, that he would be hired almost immediately as a HC somewhere else. That doesn't happen very often. Usually a guy has to spend a year or two as a coordinator before they get their second chance.

I'd be curious what team would be a good fit for him.

I also suspect if he does get canned and doesn't get another HC job right away, he'll be doing TV and not working as a coordinator.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, so much for the theory that you always replace a guy with someone who is their polar opposite.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The Jets are down in the Snyder-Davis-Sterling-Dolan category of "worthless ownership means they will never win anyway." So I don't think teams are going to hold it against Rex that he could ***only*** build a team that was a semi-regular playoff contender that overachieved when it did get there.

11. RecoveringJournalist

It's always a good idea to hire the assistant to a GM who doesn't have final say over the roster.

It's like hiring an OC from a team where the HC calls the plays.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Nicholas Dawidoff's Collision Low Crossers about 2011 Jet season provided good insight into Rex's limited interest in the offense. You got the sense that Rex spent most of his time with defensive coaches and left the offensive coaches on their own to create game plans. I think a lack of emphasis is part of reason that The Jets perform so poorly on
    offense

Draft saved Draft deleted