1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Simon profile from The New Yorker

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 15, 2007.

1. wedgewood

wedgewood Member

Great article. Still amazed that this show has only been nominated for one Emmy. I loved that part about Simon's memo to HBO, the scathing criticism of cop shows on network TV. I can't even watch an episode of NYPD Blue or Law and Order anymore without comparing it to The Wire. Not even close.
    Thanks for the link, Double Down.

2. Dedo

Dedo Member

Fantastic stuff. I've said it before, but I don't admire any writer more than I do David Simon.

And the anecdote about Bubbles' "street Oscar" was great.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Well, I am about 23 New Yorkers behind, but maybe I will skip ahead for this article. I have never seen The Wire, is this article still worth the read?

4. Damn, that is long. ... the most interesting and tense part was the back and forth between Simon and the Philly guys. The story behind Marrimow is great.

Also couldn't help but copy and paste this line: Zorzi knew plenty of city and state politicians when he was a tough, cranky Sun reporter who would never eat so much as a carrot stick from a buffet paid for by a candidate.

5. Go rent the Wire and then read it. Now!

6. Dedo

Dedo Member

I envy you. The 50 greatest TV-watching hours of your life are ahead of you, and you don't even realize it yet.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The anecdote at the end about the wedding is one of the most touching things I've ever heard about.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I read that piece in the NYTimes and thought, "How cool is that"

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Brief, but kind of funny, promo for Season 5. (Don't expect to see scenes.)

10. Great stuff, devoured every word.

You've got to admire someone that committed to his product and stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted