1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Simon and The Wire

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Genco_Olive_Oil, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Hey all. On Thursday afternoon David Simon, the creator of The Wire, is giving a lecture at my college. I'm required to attend as part of my American Studies course. It's entitled "The Audicity of Despair." I haven't seen much of the show. Can you "Wire" fans suggest some questions that would be germane to this topic? Thanks.

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

"Why did you kill off Stringer Bell, you fuck?"

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always wondered why McNulty went back to the bottle in the last season, he'd hooked up with Beadie, things seemed to be going well in his life, then he started catting around again.
    But generally, I'd ask him who his movie/TV influences were.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Ask him why he overtly skewered the police, the newspapers, the school and politicians but never dealt directly with the general population that was benignly ignorant of the evils of the system. Also, judges were treated much too kindly. Take from someone who knows, first hand.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Ask him if he ever worked metro with Charles Dickens.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is Dickens the guy who plagiarized his way to a Pulitzer?

7. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Exactly.

You could ask him what it was like to create the greatest drama in the history of TV.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Dickens worked preps at one point.

"It was a tale of two halves."

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Ask him if it's at all symbolic that his television series never got the attention it deserved from the American public, much the same way the issues he raised were also ignored.

Also, ask him how the hell someone can kill himself just by sitting down with a belt around his neck. I never got that.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ask him if The Greek represents unfettered capitalism.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He represents feta'd capitalism.

12. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

"Why did you kill off Omar, you fuck?"

Draft saved Draft deleted