1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Simon among witnesses tomorrow at Senate's "future of journalism" hearing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baltimoreguy, May 5, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

"Pardon me, sir, did you see what happened?"

"Yeah, I did. Half-time, I's just goin' down there to get Ethel a snow cone. Here he come, right outta the cheap seats, dribblin'. Right down the middle of the floor. Didn't have on nothin' but his Keds! Made a hook shot 'n got out through the concession stand. I hollered up at Ethel, I said "DON'T LOOK, ETHEL!!" But it was too late. She'd already gotten a free shot. Grandstand. Right there'n front of the home team."

2. Ah, the genius that is Ray Stevens.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Ray Stevens RULZ!!

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Someone page Boom, I'm getting worried. This is the longest he's ever gone on a Kerry-themed thread without making fun of him. Come back to us Boom!!

5. It'll be live this afternon on C-SPAN 3 from 2:30-5:30 or so. Some digital cable systems and the occasional public-access cable channel will air C-SPAN 3 as a complement to C-SPAN and C-SPAN 2.

It will also be up on the site on-demand, I'm sure.

6. doggieseatdoggies

doggieseatdoggies New Member

That's it. It's window dressing and they'll say, "we feel your pain." And then they'll throw some bailout dollars at newspaper CEOs and no one will benefit from those dollars except the newspaper CEOs. And Warren Buffett will be seen flipping all of us off.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I don't see any newspaper companies getting a dime of bail-out money.

Ideally (to my mind, at least), this'll be a push in the effort to allow newspapers to organize as low-profit entities.

Though I doubt anything will come of it except some hand-wringing from Kerry to feel the Globe's pain, and possibly some statements from the Google rep that make me want to reach through the Internet and throttle her. I still hold out hope Simon will launch into some sort of holier-than-thou rant that will, if nothing, be entertaining.

However it goes, I'll definitely try and watch it when I get home from work tonight.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm partial to the Sammy Sosa "no speak-a the english" approach, myself.

9. Glen Rosales

Glen Rosales Member

Thanks JJ for putting this dog-and-pony show in proper perspective. (Um, the hearings, not this thread)

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I can only imagine the seizures in publisher's offices if they were required to plow profits back into their own papers. I'm sure janitors would be stocking up on 409 to clean the brain matter off of the ceilings.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

12. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

What in the hell is Arianna going to tell them? "Fix the business? Just tell publishers to marry rich husbands."

Draft saved Draft deleted