1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Simon among witnesses tomorrow at Senate's "future of journalism" hearing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baltimoreguy, May 5, 2009.

1. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/05/04/senate-looking-at-the-future-of-journalism/

Sen. John Kerry is holding his "The Future of Journalism" Congressional hearing on Wednesday.

Witnesses will be:
    Steve Coll, former managing editor of the Washington Post
    Arianna Huffington, founder of the Huffington Post
    James Moroney, CEO of the Dallas Morning News
    Marissa Mayer, VP of Google
    Alberto Ibarguen, President of The Knight Foundation and former publisher of the Miami Herald
    David Simon, former reporter for the Baltimore Sun, who went on to create such TV series as HBO's "The Wire."

Interesting that Google and Huffington will be there. Despite his high profile, I don't know that Simon is going to add too much. He seems to huff and puff an awful lot, but he hasn't worked in a newsroom in more than a decade.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

And the Senate will do what with the testimony?

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

Hopefully the Google rep (and Huffington) will speak to the aggregator vs. originator debate. I've yet to see anyone honestly grilled about why these people aren't footing some kind of AP-like bill for the content they use.

Simon definitely has opinions on the fall of the newspaper industry (and well-informed ones, I think), but I don't think they're that much different than any other bought-out former beat writer from a major metro. Which, perhaps, is a good reason to have him there. If nothing else, he'll scree about the ownership structure, which is a large part of what's excelerated the decline of the industry (I honestly think most individual newspapers could find ways through the death of classified ads if they weren't saddled with debt from a thousand miles away).

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Kerry is doing it to make it look like he's doing something for the Boston Globe readership.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

What did they witness?

"Your honor, I saw it clear as day. It was Google, with the search engine, on the Internet."

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Put me in front of a Congressional or Senate hearing and it would be hard not to blurt out "Shame on YOU, Senator!" or "How dare you question me!" or at least one "I'm out of order? This whole hearing is out of order! This whole country is out of order!"
    It might be totally random and out of the blue, but it would be fun just to see the reaction.

7. VJ

VJ Member

Re: David Simon among witnesses tomorrow at Senate's "future of journalism" hear

Google VP: "We're trying to help newspapers, not kill them."

David Simon: "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet"

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"Oh yeah, Beretta did that shit."

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What other senators will be there?

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Re: David Simon among witnesses tomorrow at Senate's "future of journalism" hear

I hope Sen. Kerry asked Moron-ey about the Cue Cat.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This hearing is worthless without Dean Singleton or Sam Zell.

Draft saved Draft deleted