1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Sell leaves the CS Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OneMoreRead, Apr 10, 2008.

1. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

I don't know if these are related, but the Gazette laid off nine more writers and editors with two being in sports. David Sell, who has been there five years or so, wasn't laid off. He is going to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

The way I see it the two in sports aren't layoffs. Milo Bryant a columnist there is leaving the business to start his own business. There's a copy editor who is taking an early retirement.

That staff has already lost a lot. Those are more big losses.

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Good luck to Dave. Don't know him well, but he was a classy guy in my dealings with him.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What is he going to do in Philly?

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Dave Sell is one of the classiest guys in the business. Period.

Here's a guy who called to let me know I was a finalist who didn't get the job he gave to Milo, but that he wanted me to keep in touch with him. I can count on one hand the number of SE's who would have the class and dignity to do this.

The Gazette will miss his professionalism, work ethic and class. Not to mention, he was a pretty good hockey writer in the day.

As for Milo, I talked to him during an event last month. He's starting a personal fitness business in San Diego with a partner who is getting things off the ground now. Milo will join him after he gets back from the Beijing Olympics.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Sell is one of the best in the business. Best of luck to him.

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Great guy and class act. Congratulations

7. Milo Bryant's leaving the business? What a shame. He does outstanding work. Consistent APSE winner.

I wonder if it's because of the state of the business or simply the entrepreunerial spirit calling him.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It would be the latter, Waylon. He said this is something he's wanted to do for quite some time.

And like his columns, Milo will be damn good at it.

9. I can dig that. Good for him. A lot of people never scratch the itch.

10. Sawker

Sawker New Member

Sell is a good guy and fully deserves to be sailing on a bigger ship, if that is, in fact, what he wanted to do.

Is Jim O'Connell still around? If so, he gets my vote for the top job.

Of course, my vote means shit.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Milo is very, very good... He will be missed...

12. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Second this. O'Connell is a good guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted