1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Sedaris, Santaland Diaries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Dec 10, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

First of all, I blame SportsJournalists.com for my even listening to NPR.

I heard this in the car today on the way to a job. So damn funny. Had to wait until it was over before getting out of the car.

Most of you probably know it, and I think I've heard bits of it before, but this was the first time I heard the whole thing.

I was looking for a full transcript, so I could post an excerpt, but here's part 1 of it on YouTube:

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Have you read any of his books? I thought Naked was uneven, but Me Talk Pretty One Day is fantastic.

3. YankeeFan

I'm listening to it again now. I actually missed the beginning.

I came in right about here, where he talks about the black Santa, who wasn't black enough:

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The essay about Christmas in the Netherlands called "Six to Eight Black Men" is one of my all time favs.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My daughter turned me on to Sedaris' writing. Much like the Onion: great satire mixed with dead-on observation and poignancy.

6. YankeeFan

That one has been referenced here before. Hilarious.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love David Sedaris.

Here you go, DD. Carrie printed this out and put it in her Christmas cards (at least mine) one year.

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ1202-DEC_SEDARIS

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Santaland Diaries is a highlight of the season for me. Funny! Funny stuff.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So fantastic. My favorite part is his impression of the woman who says she wants to be an elf because she sees it as her first step into acting.

10. YankeeFan

So many good lines:

She said, "I'm going to have you fired."

I had two people say that to me today, "I'm going to have you fired." Go ahead, be my guest. I'm wearing a green velvet costume; it doesn't get any worse than this. Who do these people think they are?

"I'm going to have you fired!" And I wanted to lean over and say, "I'm going to have you killed."

And, Santa Santa -- the Santa who no one knew his real name -- kills me. "Little elf, little elf."

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

"Step on the magic star and you can see Mike Tyson!"

12. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Sedaris is legendary and his Santaland Diaries are required reading at holiday time.

Draft saved Draft deleted