1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Ortiz shot in Dominican Republic

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Regan MacNeil, Jun 9, 2019.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I buy this 100%:

Because that was my theory. If they wanted him dead, how easy would it have been to just shoot him in the head right there? Why shoot him in the back and run off?

Well, if you want to make sure he can't move his dick around anymore ...

wicked likes this.
  2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Awful way to try to get rid of the DH.

lakefront likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Silly Americans getting the story all wrong! Officials in the DR say the hit man shot the wrong guy, they weren't after Ortiz at all. Oopsies!

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    /approves

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The government's story is no more incredible on its face than the other conspiracy theories published and discussed here, but since it doesn't make Ortiz the center of the story it has no chance of being believed.

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I really want to say that’s a horrible cover story, but it sounds like the jamokes behind the “hit” are a five beers short of a six-pack. Anything is possible.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

This story has quietly died down.

8. Michael_ Gee

I have to assume that many media outlets sent reporters to dig, but no credible contradiction of the Dominican government's case has emerged.

9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I blame soccer.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t make that assumption. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

11. Michael_ Gee

As far as is known, the Daily Mail story was the legend. The incentive for any media outlet to puncture the mistaken identity story is so strong, of course some of them pursued it. They may still be pursuing it, but as of now, no results we know of.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I stand by my seat of the pants analysis, and await the show trial in the Dominican Republic which will exonerate a drug lord and some flunky gets convicted of shooting the wrong person.
    I hope a new generation’s Elmore Leonard writes a story of the ex-player’s estranged wife hiring a half Dominican half Jewish private eye uncovering the ex-player’s role in the Dominican sex trade and his appetite for forbidden fruit.

There was a Jewish refugee town founded in the DR. There were not enough women in the town and prostitution was legal in the DR. The women of the town slept around and the men frequented the whore houses, the colony did not survive a generation.

Draft saved Draft deleted