1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Gregory to replace Tucker Carlson at MSNBC

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

With David Duke a regular guest.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Lou Dobbs is going to have to get some new guests then.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

" . . . and I'm Jimmy Carl Black . . . I'm the Indian in the group."

4. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Love the Mothers reference....then again, weasels did rip my flesh....

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The high point of Medium Cool is the riot footage with that song in the background.

6. The single greatest reference in the history of SportsJournalists.com. I will entertain no debate on this subject. None. Ever.
    Magnificently played, sir.
    Of course, if we all were living in California...

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thank you . . . thank you very much.

It helps to be old . . . but, hey.

8. What is the ugliest part of your body?

9. Baltimoreguy

Baltimoreguy Member

I went to college with Tucker and found him to be an extremely smart, interesting person. He was also an outstanding writer and reporter, once upon a time. In '99, he wrote a great profile about GWB for Talk magazine -- it was the one that quoted Bush mockingly imitating that woman on Texas' death row ("please don't kill me") and swearing a blue streak.

Although I disagreed with his politics, I always respected that Tucker believed in an ideology, and wasn't a blind partisan supporter of the Republican party. Going on TV probably made him a fortune, but it killed his credibility. His role was to espouse the party line, and I don't think he was particularly good at it (maybe because he didn't believe in it). And then I think he got caught up in being a TV persona -- his appearnce on "Dancing with the Stars" was a horror show.

It's hard to believe he can ever go back to being a reporter now that's become a TV personality.

10. B'Guy --
    Spot on, rook.
    Carlson is a fine writer. Not as good as Ferguson among the first wave of the Weekly Standard guys, and not as funny as PJ O'Rourke, but easier to read than Caldwell and more facile with different material than Brooks ever was. I'm perfectly willing to blame TV for what he's become.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Nice. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted