1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Gregory Next to Go at NBC?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 2, 2012.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Deeper_Background -- Tapper is on CNN now doing mid-afternoons on "The Lead With Jake Tapper" and has been since last summer/early fall. Does his job well, but he loses me after I get the gist of what is being covered. He sort of loses me during interviews. Could just be me.

Liut -- Glad you got to see the second part of Woodward/Berstein. Wished I could have. With description you gave, would love to know which town your CBS station is in to see if I have ever seen it. I'm still hacked ours only runs the first half-hour of Face The Nation.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If they do tests on the MSNBC group of Maddow, Hayes, Sharpton
    Matthews, and "Ed" they might decide to shut down the
    network.

I think the problem at MTP is that viewers have come to realize
    that the only reason guests appear is an attempt to try and
    control the narrative of the day. It's become the way of
    Washington and hosts like Gregory have become willing enablers.

Russert was strong enough to put guests on the spot.

It's also a problem of overexposure. With the growth of cables
    both politicians and press are on tv all week saying the same
    things over and over. It used to be limited to Sunday mornings.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The idea of shorter segments makes it more like every evening cable show too.

Not only did Russert challenge his guests, he had the time to do it. It sounds like they're not even aspiring to be as good a show as they used to be.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Both Boom and YF are right. The interview segments of these shows, especially MTP, get shorter and shorter and the bloviating panelist segments, of which there's 16 hours a day on cable news, get longer and longer. It's as if TV political journalists no longer have the chops to do interviews with any substance at all.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Gregory wonders why his ratings are going down. He's booking the same guests Russert interviewed. Sunday's guest Tony Blair. The British PM last in office in seven years ago.

We're in a news age where stories disappear after 12 hours. He may as well have Dan Quayle on.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Gregory doesn't listen to his interview subjects. He just sticks to the scripted questions he or his staff prepared.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The audience keeps getting older, as do the partisans, though. I mean for crying out loud, people still harken back to Ronald Reagan, who left office when I was a little kid. Meanwhile Democrats are starting to do the same thing with the Clintons. Everything is so fucking predictable on those shows anymore.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

there are 100 US Senators and 435 Congressmen but they interview the same 14 over and over. Rick Santorum was on Morning Joe tody talking about Ronald Reagan's tax policies. even the better shows are bancrupt of ideas, or the news is overexposed

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've noticed that too with the radio talk shows. Same people, week after week, saying the same things over and over again.

"blah, blah, Obama, blah, blah, libruhl media, blah, blah, tax cuts, blah, blah, Obama, blah, blah, takin' our guns, blah, blah, FREEDOM!

I'd like to see and hear some real, nuanced discussions, rather than the same catchphrases repeated over and over again.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

This was a particular hoot this morning:

http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/29/msnbcs-beloved-morning-joe-slips-behind-cnns-new-day/

"Beloved" by whom? The National Association of Fucking Idiot Circle-Jerking Mental-Midget Beltway Bloviators?

Talk about a load-of-shit show which needs to be removed from the airwaves tomorrow morning. Let Joey Boy go give O'Reilly and Hannity tongue baths while auditioning for a graveyard-shift show of his own on the Fascist Foghorn. Let his dumb-bitch sidekick go do pole dancing at a truck-stop strip-bar somewhere outside the service drive up I-95. Get them off the fucking airwaves.

And no, I rarely if ever get up early enough to watch them. But when I have, I've seen enough.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anytime I see Rick Santorum, McCain or any of the other usual suspects - I turn the channel. They really need to bring on some new people, not just people looking to make some noise - but bring some new perspectives to national debates.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Joe actually thinks he's presidential timber.

Trying not to laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted