1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Gregory Next to Go at NBC?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Count me as a regular FTN viewer for the reasons you stated. He was my evening choice when he replaced Rather on an interim basis. For me, I take in the Osgood program and roll right into FTN.

BNWriter, the CBS station here is often such a technical fiasco and also loaded up with infomercials. To its credit, though, it hung in for the second half recently when Woodstein guested.

I was preparing to throw a fit. ;D

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

And Schieffer's ratings while he was the interim host of the CBS Evening News were better than Katie's.

3. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I usually watch "This Week" and eschew the other shows, a habit that began when Snuffleapgus was host, but watched FTN last weekend with O'Donnell guesting, Boehner in the hot seat. Damn, NO'D is a tough gal. Might have to tune into FTN more.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Watching FTN more because MTP is a joke. Gregory is a putz.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

NBC has been grooming Todd for the job since Russert passed. That's been a little more than four years. Is Todd ready for the big chair? I honestly don't know ... I can't recall any hardball (small H) interviews of his. But his camera presence is developing and he has the electoral math grasp that Russert so famously had.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Todd is their best choice if what they want to do, and it is what they want, is to continue to display what corporate America thinks the rest of America should be thinking about. Not knocking Chuck, he comes by his conventionality honestly, and he's about 1000 times smarter than Gregory, so it'd be a better show. But the Sunday interview shows are basically bribes, all of them. They give pols airtime because campaign contributions aren't allowed. What the three networks have given McCain (not someone I completely dislike) since the 2008 election is a scandal. They insist he's important, even though everybody else in America knows he isn't anymore.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think with politicians, it really does make a difference if the host can intimidate the guest on some level.
    Pols knew Russert knew what he knew, it wasn't done through prep or a producer. It probably also helps when a journo has "seniority" on a pol and can back it up with stories like drinking with Reagan or LBJ.
    I just don't see someone like Stephanopoulus or Gregory intimidating anyone.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. You haven't been properly humiliated by your employer until they've hired a a psychological consultant to give their assessment of you:

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You wouldn't catch me wasting my time on any of those inside-baseball circle-jerk slap-fests.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sunday morning? You're at Church, right?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Jesus, do not scare people by resurrecting d_b threads like that.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The EP of MTP came directly from TV's top viewer analyst firm...he specializes in market research, so it's actually par for the course that Gregory was put through a personality profile. I guaran-damn-tee you that all major anchors at the Big Three have.

Draft saved Draft deleted