1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Granger Out At Esquire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Earthman, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Davis was in "North Dallas Forty."
    Kristofferson was in "Semi-Tough."

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

3. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Will Miss Raab's work at Esquire. The Whore of Akron was a great read and his
    Esquire story on Roger Ebert was one of best mag articles I've ever read.

typefitter likes this.
  4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Troll level: Expert

HC likes this.
  5. Earthman

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  6. John

John Well-Known Member

Unless there was more than one Ebert story, Chris Jones wrote the masterpiece you're thinking of.

7. Earthman

oops - yes I stand corrected. It was Chris Jones. The memory is not what it used to be. Does not change the fact that it was one of the best mag stories that I've ever read.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, those shoes don't go with that suit at all! Is he OK?

Jokes aside, an interesting, stroking feature. Raab referring to the Esquire crew as Ocean's 11 is the type of wince-inducing douche talk that can make people think the worst of that ilk. Still, liked this in particular:

“After 9/11, Dave calls me and and says, ‘We need to talk. Something is going on. Reporters are being accused of treason for asking the questions reporters ask, by George W. Bush. That’s different, wouldn’t you say?’ I said, ‘Yeah. Definitely. Different. Problem.’ Dave said, ‘I want you to write about what’s happened in this era.’ So off I go to write about George W. Bush, and let’s be clear: George W. Bush has never read a policy paper. You know that from Dave. You know that George W. Bush is a guy who goes on instinct — from Dave. These stories weren’t in The New York Times, they weren’t in The New Yorker. They were in Esquire. Because of Dave. Dave said what Dave says: ‘This is a story that no one else saw.’ Because Dave is self-directed, powerfully, a curmudgeon, and kind of a son of a bitch in all the ways we love. Sons of bitches are what journalism is all about!”

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I still want to find the janitor who played a big role in Jones' getting that interview. He's around somewhere.

YankeeFan likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted