1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Granger Out At Esquire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Earthman, Apr 8, 2016.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I wonder what happens to Charles Pierce. I always thought his blog at Esquire was to vitriolic and liberal for a magazine trying to appeal to a general audience.

2. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Column has a what doesn't belong and why quality to it in overall context of the magazine. I would bet though that majority of the magazine readers are not even aware of the column.

3. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Damn. I don't know where my dreams are supposed to go now. This was always the goal. Damn.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Trust me, I think about this all the time, because I'm home alone a lot and don't have much else to do right now. I like to think I would have gone back and tried again through more official channels, but Andy left for GQ not long after I started at Esquire, and who knows if anyone else would have agreed to meet me? I mean, we all have moments in our lives, looking back, that changed the course of everything else. I met my wife at a summer job that required candidates to pass a bilingualism test; I got 50 percent on the nose. I get one more question wrong, I don't meet my wife, my kids don't exist [takes another hit from bong, passes it to left], who knows what my life looks like? My time at Esquire always felt like a weird, temporary gift because of how close it came to never happening. That it lasted 14 years is one of the miracles of my life. All I can do now [drinks bong water] is give thanks to the universe and hope something half as great happens to me again, but I can't be mad if it doesn't.

HC likes this.
  5. typefitter

Charlie is the biggest traffic driver for the site by some very large measure.

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

Before everyone genuflects too deeply, remember that when Granger took the top job at Esquire, his primary editorial and economic missions were to destroy the guy he owed his entire career to: Art Cooper at GQ, since the magazines were/are direct competitors. Of course, Granger then proceeded to raid many of the writers that Cooper gave a shot to -- several of whom worked at Frank Deford's failed The National -- Pierce among them.

Since Granger he knew exactly what they were paid at GQ, he likely bought their loyalty.

True colors bared -- for all involved.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  7. typefitter

This post is a classic example of someone speaking with authority on the Internet when he has no actual understanding of or insight into the real-world situation. It's always delightful.

Let's take Tom Junod for an example. Granger pulled a Junod story about oysters out of the GQ slush pile and brought him from Atlanta Magazine—made his national career, including his editing two stories that won ASMEs in back-to-back years. He then took Junod to Esquire, the way magazine editors always take their writers with them when they move, because they're trying to make the best magazine they can and editors and writers both like working with people they can trust. Junod later received an offer from Conde Nast to come back to GQ and also write for the New Yorker for a considerable increase from his Esquire salary. He refused that offer, and I'm not sure he ever matched the dollar amount even after nearly two decades at Esquire. Most of us made less at Esquire than we would have made had we gone to a rival publication. Junod, like Raab and Fussman and Pierce, has been with Granger for something like 25 years. I was still the newest writer at large at Esquire at 14 years in; everyone else had at least 19 years. That's not bought loyalty. There are many reasons writers at large never left Esquire, and I can tell you, as one of them, that the money was way down the fucking list.

Double Down, HC and YankeeFan like this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was listening to Pandora in the hospital the other day, and a Kris Kristofferson song came on.

I was reminded of, and looked up to confirm for my mother-in-law, his "big break" story in which, as a guy looking to break into the Nashville songwriting business, he landed a helicopter in Johnny Cash's yard. (He had flown helicopters in Vietnam.)

Cash ends up recording Sunday Morning Coming Down, and wins the CMA's Song of the Year for it.

That's some big balls.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Major advantage over people without access to helicopters, though.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Three Bags has no excuse for not landing the job of his dreams.

HC and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If the Esq TV network is turning a profit everyone should leave print and go to TV.

12. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

They could buy a drone to easily drop their clips anywhere.

Draft saved Draft deleted