1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Granger Out At Esquire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Earthman, Apr 8, 2016.

1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I wouldn't blame him.

I sweat thinking about it—just how naive I was. Like, why would Granger want to see me? Without an appointment? What was I thinking? And after the janitor stopped me, I went back to the security guard and asked if I could call Andy. He answered, I explained who I was and that I'd love to meet him (hadn't heard his name until three minutes earlier), he asked me when I was going to be in town, and I was like, I'm in your lobby. He was like, "Um...."

The worst part is, after I went up—he let me up!—I made him read my clips in front of me. He was like, "I'll read them later," and I said, "No, I want you to read them now." So he sat there and read them while I watched him reading, total silence. In my head, I just wanted to know if there was any hope—because if there was none, then I wanted to move on with my life. I was fixated on getting some direction. But making the guy who was nice enough to let me into his office read my clips in front of me... I want to crawl into a hole remembering it. Thank God for the stupidity of youth, because I'd never even walk in the door today.

Alma, Lugnuts, Riptide and 3 others like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a good story.

And, only a young, naive guy could have gotten away with it.

3. typefitter

The best public speaker I've ever known was a kid in grade school who was too dumb to realize he should be nervous. He was invincible to reason. That day at Esquire, I was him. I was too blinded by desire, and too unaware of the protocol, to know that I was being a total idiot. I really would never dream of doing that today. I don't know whether that's a good thing or a bad thing. Probably says something about the ceiling that pride puts on you.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I used to coach little league, and I had a pitcher like that. Kid never got nervous, because I don't think he was ever aware of the situation -- how many runners were on base, how many out, what the count was. It was always a disaster though when the ball was hit back to him. He had no idea where to throw it.

For fun, I just looked up Andy Ward. He was pretty young himself when you met him, and not a grizzled veteran. Not sure if that helped him feel an affinity for you or not.

I've heard similar stories. When you have nothing to lose, why not. The worst that can happen is you get shot down.

I also always compare a job search to dating. God knows I had no right asking out my now wife.

5. typefitter

That's a good way to put it. You never get to dance with the girl you don't ask. Easier said than done, though.

Andy would have been young, for sure. He was still building his stable. The janitor was right: He was the perfect guy. I tell young writers this all the time. You want to find someone who is high enough up the masthead to matter, but not so high that he or she has completed his or her collection of writers. There's a sweet spot where there's still a door but it will open.

Saw Andy at the Granger thing. He's the editor in chief at Random House now. Just a really good, smart guy.

6. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

"the ceiling that pride puts you on" A perfect description. Brilliant

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Per Andy Ward,

Building was 250 W. 55th St, now gone. It was torn down. There were two guys at the door, Frank and Anesti, I believe. This was probably 13 or 14 years ago, but have no idea.

Perhaps typefitter can see if the janitor was Frank or Anesti, track him down, and do a "Hey, remember me? and THANKS!" kind of story ...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Get that janitor across the finish line, 'bird.

YankeeFan and Songbird like this.
  9. Songbird

Every janitor deserves to sweep the floor at least once ...

10. Songbird

Time and place, man. What if the janitor had been scrubbing toilets at the very minute Jones' career hung in the balance?

Does Joey Montgomery ever get told?

11. Earthman

Earthman Well-Known Member

Cleaners don't wait for you to ask, they just do it

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Kinda like a real-life Moonlight Graham story, in a way. Like they talk about in the movie. What if Graham had gotten that one at-bat in the majors. How would his life, and the lives of all those he helped in his town, been changed?

Draft saved Draft deleted