1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Geffen may have sunk Hillary today

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

... and I will never vote for Hillary because of that ass prick's pardon of Mark Rich.

There is NO way she wasn't in on that.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'm stumped on this one. You might want to provide a few more details for those of us not in the know.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It's difficult for me. Anybody whom a guy like Geffen hates that much must have some redeeming qualities.

And Hollywood's eager embrace of Obama probably accrues to her benefit in the flyover states.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If by flyover states you mean Midwest, I doubt it. Obama got ties to Illinois and Kansas, and his honest approach works great with people in the Midwest, where people see Hillary as a flaming liberal for obvious reasons.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Maureen Dowd
    The New York Times
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Hillary is not David Geffen’s dreamgirl.

“Whoever is the nominee is going to win, so the stakes are very high,” says Mr. Geffen, the Hollywood mogul and sultan of “Dreamgirls,” as he sits by a crackling fire beneath a Jasper Johns flag and a matched pair of de Koonings in the house that Jack Warner built (which old-time Hollywood stars joked was the house that God would have built). “Not since the Vietnam War has there been this level of disappointment in the behavior of America throughout the world, and I don’t think that another incredibly polarizing figure, no matter how smart she is and no matter how ambitious she is — and God knows, is there anybody more ambitious than Hillary Clinton? — can bring the country together.

“Obama is inspirational, and he’s not from the Bush royal family or the Clinton royal family. Americans are dying every day in Iraq. And I’m tired of hearing James Carville on television.”

“I don’t think anybody believes that in the last six years, all of a sudden Bill Clinton has become a different person,” Mr. Geffen says, adding that if Republicans are digging up dirt, they’ll wait until Hillary’s the nominee to use it. “I think they believe she’s the easiest to defeat.”

She is overproduced and overscripted. “It’s not a very big thing to say, ‘I made a mistake’ on the war, and typical of Hillary Clinton that she can’t,” Mr. Geffen says. “She’s so advised by so many smart advisers who are covering every base. I think that America was better served when the candidates were chosen in smoke-filled rooms.”

They fell out in 2000, when Mr. Clinton gave a pardon to Marc Rich after rebuffing Mr. Geffen’s request for one for Leonard Peltier. “Marc Rich getting pardoned? An oil-profiteer expatriate who left the country rather than pay taxes or face justice?” Mr. Geffen says. “Yet another time when the Clintons were unwilling to stand for the things that they genuinely believe in. Everybody in politics lies, but they do it with such ease, it’s troubling.”

6. HejiraHenry

You should all go bone up on your Leonard Peltier and see what a true American hero he was. Or not.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You get the impression the Mo Dowd is trying to derail Hillary early in race.

8. HejiraHenry

Well, she's also taken the strongest shot at Obama.

The NYT will deal quite sternly with the members of its own party.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

That is nice.
    Obama was asked about it when he arrived here in Des Moines this afternoon. Barack scoffed at Hillary's campaign telling him to pull Geffen off the bandwagon.

Hollywood is stroking themselves silly over who's going to be the "flavor of the month." As a resident of a flyover state until January 2008, I'm going to love watching these self-absorbed superstar assholes fight like cats.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh022107.shtml

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ambition isn't a bad quality. But if you don't stand for anything but your ambition, you aren't the kind of civic leader I want.

Stand for something. Be passionate about the things you believe in. And if ambition (hungry for power?) is part of your personality, as well, it just might make you more effective in making your passions become realities.

She doesn't stand for anything. She'll be whatever it is she has to be today because of her raw ambition. And if it means screwing you tomorrow and being someone else in the chase for those ambitions, she'll do it.

It's why I have always loved idealogues. I'd sooner vote for someone who passionately believes in something--not B.S. politics, but an honest philosophy--even if the philosophy is opposed to mine, than I will vote for someone who is a manipulative hyena. I have voted for people like that.

She's so scripted for two reasons: 1) For the people pulling her puppet strings, "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is," and 2) She doesn't have the personality or people skills of her husband. He could work a crowd. She can not think on her feet or win over a crowd on her own.

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Yeah, Daily Howler, sure, blame Republicans for Geffen being pissed off at her. There is faction of Democrats who have always loved the Clintons and the Clintonistas, and there is a faction that can't hate them enough to get someone else to keep the Clintons away from White House again.

Geffen is pissed because Clinton wasn't going to pardon his guy, opting for "his boy (allegedly)" Rich. That's life, David. No one is going to get what they want.

The Howler needs to look at it that way. The GOP is in the same boat with McCain. Many love him, and many want him to STFU and head back to Arizona. ::(

Ragu: thank you for pointing that out.

Draft saved Draft deleted