1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Falk's warning to his constituents in Monday's NYT: tighten your belts.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 24, 2009.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And while we're at it, no actors should make more than a thousand dollars a movie! And all those rock stars should put their guitar cases down in front of them and play for change! Stupid rich people!

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Schadenfreude

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: David Falk's warning to his constituents in Monday's NYT: tighten your belts

And The Soccer Thread would get a lot more views as well.

Seriously though, I wonder how sports fans would adapt. And, more importantly, how newspapers would adapt.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Given the way attendance is cratering, sports fans will adapt just fine.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

No NBA games? Just the ticket for newspapers looking for sports news not to cover.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I started my broadcasting career in 1994 -- during the baseball strike and the NHL lockout. I'll never forget how those two events damaged ratings and readership in Toronto. Baseball has never recovered there.

Careful what you wish for.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No one cares about the NBA now. It could not get much worse. Big difference with the NBA is that college basketball is a viable alternative for basketball fans .

Stephon Marbury during his hiatus was making $149,000 / hr. If that is not a sign to regain control nothing is.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Quite honestly, I did ignore the NBA, even when I was in the business. I didn't have to cover the sport, and to me, the NBA is rarely a true team sport.

Draft saved Draft deleted