1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Falk's warning to his constituents in Monday's NYT: tighten your belts.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 24, 2009.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Seems that The Bird of Prey believes that NBA owners may follow their NHL brethren and shut down the league until there's a business model that they can stomach.

Some highlights:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/23/sports/basketball/23falk.html?_r=1&ref=basketball

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

So LeBron's first season with the Knicks is gonna get canceled? Damn.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Re: David Falk's warning to his constituents in Monday's NYT: tighten your belts

I thought that was a really interesting story.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

They need a hard cap. And an end to those guaranteed salaries. The absurdity of people with expiring contracts being the most coveted commodity in the trade market has always frosted me and is a stepchild of those horrific deals.

So if basketball gets a real cap, is baseball far behind? Hmmmm....

Falk is right. The union really gummed up the works. But it's funny that the union's reps were all of Falk's folks (Ewing, Mourning, etc.)

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Once again, the rich owners need to be protected from themselves.
    Who forced Jim Dolan/Isiah Thomas to give Stephon Marbury (and five or six other bad players) an absurd contract?

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

"lets see them bitches pay their car insurances now"

Kenny Anderson

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not a tear would be shed if the NBA shut down for a season or two. At least not from me.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

Is there any possibility of just shutting the NBA down for at least five years?
    Not to wish those employed by the league rough times, but too many fat cats have had it too good for too long.
    This scribe here won't lose a lot of sleep over such news.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

No offense, but I'll never understand this attitude. Why would anyone who likes sports want to see any league shut down for any length of time? I mean, if you don't like the NBA, ignore it. Why would shutting it down be a good thing? LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard ... you have no interest in seeing any of them perform for the next five years?

10. MN Matt

MN Matt Member

Not even a little bit.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: David Falk's warning to his constituents in Monday's NYT: tighten your belts

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked to see the NBA, NFL and MLB all have lockouts in the next couple of years.

Part of me is interested in what would happen if all three were locked out at (roughly) the same time.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Rangers-Flyers on Versus would bump up to a 0.4 rating.

Draft saved Draft deleted