1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Cone and Orel Hershiser

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 11, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think they've mostly got it right, right now. I think the most glaring omissions right now are Tim Raines and Ron Santo, but I think both of them eventually get in, along with guys who didn't get on these past couple years but are probably deserving (Bagwell).

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Maddux ;-).

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Two reasons. 1) Mullane is pretty clearly in the second tier of 1880s-1890s pitchers behind Rusie, Young, Nichols, Radbourn, Keefe, Clarkson, Welch. He's at the top of the second tier, certainly, but he's not as good as those guys. 2) He had most of his success in the American Association, which was an inferior league to the National League. After he moved to the NL in 1890 ... and, like many in his generation, after the mound was moved back to 60'6" in 1893, he couldn't adapt as well.

That said, if Tony doesn't hold out for a season at age 26, he probably finishes with about 310 wins and that might have pushed him over the top with the Veterans Committee. It wouldn't be an outrage if he was in, but he's not really that deserving, either.

Bobby Mathews, who finished with 297 career wins, has the same problem as reason (2) above -- his stats were compiled in the NA and AA -- and he'll never sniff the Hall of Fame. Good reading on him here: http://bioproj.sabr.org/bioproj.cfm?a=v&v=l&bid=3055&pid=8952.

4. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Maybe I'm being swayed a little too much by the championship mystique from those Yankee teams, but I felt that Cone is just as Hall worthy if not more so than Mussina.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Let's not get carried away here.

Cone: 194-126
    Mussina: 270-153

Not that W-L is a be-all, end-all, but your argument can't even begin to gain legitimacy until Cone makes up for those 76 wins.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I wonder how many more games Hershiser wins in 86-87 if Pedro Guerrero doesn't blow out his knee. Those Dodgers teams were absolutely dreadful offensively. Ohh, and as brilliant as Orel was in '88, lets not forget he also led them to the 1985 NL West title with a 19-3 record and an ERA of 2.03.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

At some point, does being a part of those great Yankees teams start to work against guys like Mussina and Cone?
    You've already got several guys who are locks (Jeter, Rivera, Clemens), a few who are borderline but were so integral to those teams' success that they'll get some benefit of the doubt (Posada, Pettitte, Bernie Williams), and then some others further down the line that weren't part of the dynasty but will be associated with the Yankees when their turn comes (A-Rod, Teixeira).
    By the time you get to Cone and Mussina, there's at least a half-dozen Yankees on that list who will merit strong consideration. At some point Yankee fatigue has got to set in.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Hershiser was an amazing pitcher, but was not a "dominant pitcher of his era" for long enough to warrant the HOF in my opinion.

9. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

No argument, but if he would have tacked on 5-7 years of "very good" to that 85-89 stretch, he'd be in the conversation. But it was five outstanding years, rotator cuff surgery, lots of meh years, then a decent end for which he's been accused on this board of juicing. ;-).

A little Kurt Warner-ish. I'm sure this analogy will be picked apart, but it's similar. The year the Rams won the Super Bowl and Warner was unbelievable, the year the Dodgers won the World Series and Hershiser had his unbelievable streak of scoreless innings.

Then both declined, Hershiser because of injury and appeared down and out. But then towards the end of his career, Warner led the Cardinals to the Super Bowl and Hershiser was on a couple of World Series staffs with the Indians.

Both had too-brief stretches being elite. Both had one last run at the end after they had become afterthoughts. Warner probably had a stronger finish than Hershiser, but it was similar.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't the championships and having a lower career ERA help do just that?

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

If you wanna find the best, simple way to rate pitchers, in my opinion, it's ERA+. I think ERA is a wonderful way to evaluate pitchers, and ERA+ basically normalizes for the league (so a 3.50 in 1968 is not equal to a 3.50 in 2002).

Anyway, here are the top pitchers in ERA+ who are not in the HOF (minimum 300 starts) (If you're looking for Jack Morris, he's not in the top 50. His ERA+ is 105, same as John Denny.)

<PRE>
    Rk Player ERA+
    1 Pedro Martinez 154
    2 Roger Clemens 143
    3 Roy Halladay 137
    4 Randy Johnson 136
    5 Roy Oswalt 134
    6 Greg Maddux 132
    7 Curt Schilling 128
    8 Kevin Brown 127
    9 Tim Hudson 127
    10 Bret Saberhagen 126
    11 Tommy Bridges 126
    12 John Smoltz 125
    13 CC Sabathia 124
    14 Urban Shocker 124
    15 Dizzy Trout 124
    16 Eddie Cicotte 123
    17 Ed Reulbach 123
    18 Mike Mussina 123
    19 Dave Stieb 123
    20 Jimmy Key 122
    21 Kevin Appier 121
    22 Mark Buehrle 121
    23 David Cone 121
    24 Hippo Vaughn 120
    25 Carl Mays 120
    Rk Player ERA+
    26 Ron Guidry 119
    27 Lon Warneke 119
    28 Billy Pierce 119
    29 Dutch Leonard 119
    30 Tom Glavine 118
    31 Dolf Luque 118
    32 Babe Adams 118
    33 Andy Pettitte 117
    34 Wes Ferrell 117
    35 Virgil Trucks 117
    36 Wilbur Cooper 116
    37 Bucky Walters 116
    38 Eddie Lopat 116
    39 Steve Rogers 116
    40 Chris Carpenter 116
    41 Chuck Finley 115
    42 Luis Tiant 115
    43 John Candelaria 114
    44 Jon Matlack 114
    45 Larry French 114
    46 Rick Reuschel 114
    47 Jack Quinn 114
    48 Slim Sallee 114
    49 Bob Shawkey 114
    50 Doc White 113
    </PRE>

Kevin Brown, who is the top player to have actually appeared on the ballot, got just 12 votes (2 percent) and fell off the ballot. That seems pretty wrong, to me. (Although I didn't vote for him, but I did give him a long look.)

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

One more for Kevin Brown...

These are the guys with the most seasons with an ERA+ of 150 or more. (Most years there are 7 pitchers or fewer whose ERA+ cracks 150.)

<PRE>
    Rk Yrs
    1 Lefty Grove 11
    2 Greg Maddux 9
    3 Roger Clemens 9
    4 Randy Johnson 8
    5 Walter Johnson 8
    6 Christy Mathewson 7
    7 Pedro Martinez 6
    8 Pete Alexander 6
    9 Roy Halladay 5
    10 Kevin Brown 5
    11 Steve Carlton 5
    12 Ed Walsh 5
    13 Mordecai Brown 5
    14 Johan Santana 4
    15 Tom Seaver 4
    16 Jim Palmer 4
    17 Sandy Koufax 4
    18 Hal Newhouser 4
    19 Stan Coveleski 4
    20 Eddie Cicotte 4
    21 Brandon Webb 3
    22 Jose Rijo 3
    23 Juan Marichal 3
    24 Bob Gibson 3
    25 Whitey Ford 3
    </PRE>

Man, maybe I should have voted for him!

(Yes, I know he was probably a juicer. That certainly doesn't help his case. He also had a lot of mediocrity at the end of his career that probably colored people's memories.)

Draft saved Draft deleted