1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP David Cassidy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jr/shotglass, Nov 21, 2017.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Not an RIP quite yet, but David Cassidy is on his deathbed.

David Cassidy 'critical but stable' in Fort Lauderdale-area hospital with multiple organ failure

Yes, it was pablum. But a 12-year-old me really liked the Partridge Family and Cassidy as a solo performer. He's had a pretty unhappy life. He hated the limelight of being a teen idol. He wanted to be looked upon as a serious artist instead. And he was deeply affected when a 14-year-old died during a gate crush at one of his concerts. As an adult, he has fought alcoholism and went through three marriages.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Loved that show. My older sisters loved him and Shaun Cassidy. His parents both had dementia and he suffered from it as well. Yeah, beyond all the glitz, there was a lot of pain.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I keep seeing that David Cassidy is "surrounded by family" in his final days, and God help me, I'm picturing Susan Dey and Danny Bonaduce. Ruben Kincaid standing by the door.

HanSenSE, MTM, SpeedTchr and 2 others like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

With Danny trying to hawk the organs once he has passed.

jr/shotglass and Vombatus like this.
  5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Take the Partridge Family out of it. ... and "I Think I Love You" is not a bad pop song.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Neither is "I'll Meet You Halfway."

Heck, I'll take any Partridge song over what typically comes blasting out of some car window next to me a stoplight.

7. jr/shotglass

With the standards of that era, there were quite a few songs "performed" by the Partridge Family that were pretty good pop songs. Same as The Archies, same as the Monkees.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Jack Cassidy was a terrible father to him, also.
    I got their first album for Christmas. I knew what it was and every time my parents went out, I would unwrap it and look at it, then re-wrap. I remember when the show debuted, I was so psyched but that night we had a storm and power failure! Tons of magazine pics on my wall, along with Donny Osmond.
    Great entertainment for its time.

9. jr/shotglass

By the way, David and his stepmother, Shirley Jones, were allowed to do the actual singing on their albums, a fight the Monkees lost and, of course, was never a consideration with the Archies.

They had a pretty heavyweight crew on background vocals.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not true. Davy Jones and Mickey Dolenz sang lead for the Monkees and they all contributed musically. But the Wrecking Crew did much of the heavy lifting. Met a guy who played guitar on "Sugar, Sugar" once. Good documentary on the Wrecking Crew out there if you are interested - they also handled the music for the Partridge Family. Backing vocals and leads on the first few episodes were done. by:The Ron Hicklin Singers - Wikipedia

Cassidy played the guitar, but not on the records.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. jr/shotglass

Jones and Dolenz won the right to sing on later albums -- after the Monkees' peak. And Nesmith, who was a real SOB at times, led the fight for musical independence. But Boyce and Hart sang all the big hits. From Wikipedia:

The Archies' main singer was Andy Kim, who had a couple of pretty major hits in his own right.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  12. Raiders

Raiders Member

Male vocals for the fictional Archies group were provided by The Cuff Links' lead singer Ron Dante and female duet vocals were provided by Toni Wine.

Andy Kim co-wrote "Sugar, Sugar."

Draft saved Draft deleted