1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Carr pwns Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DoctorFace, Oct 24, 2011.

1. DoctorFace

DoctorFace New Member

Thought this deserved its own thread.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/24/business/media/why-not-occupy-newsrooms.html?_r=2&hp

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The local rag ran an editorial ripping the crap out of a local company that had let go a couple hundred workers. This from the same paper that has let go a similar number of employees during the same span.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

What does "pwns" mean?

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So it's kind of an abbreviation that's not abbreviated.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew the old dudes were going to turn this into a discussion about "pwning."

8. I know what it means, but I still don't really understand how it came to be or why it's funny.

And I'm 30.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

On the column itself, I thought it was a good job ripping into the hypocrisy of the executives, but I am sure they will be able to dry their tears -- if crisp $100 bills are good for drying tears.

Other than that, it's not the slightest bit newsy or surprising if you've paid attention at all.

I love capitalism, but when the goal of companies is making sure the executives get their millions and the stock price remains high so that they get to stay executives, we've lost all sight of rationality, compassion and business sense.

10. Mediator

Mediator Member

Whatever it means, Gannett deserves to be pwned.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Those crazy copy editors... :D

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Gannett's Next Brain trust

Draft saved Draft deleted