1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Carr on MediaNews' John Patton

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Nov 13, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The formula for squeezing profits is not identical to the formula for good journalism, something the piece seemed to breezily ignore.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How did JRC's switch to open-source software go? Are they using Linux for all of the workstations? What about word processing and pagination?

BTW, what do reporters get instead of Flip camera's now?

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I can only imagine the disaster a newspaper using Scribus would look like. I've toyed around with it and it's useless in comparison to ID.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Almost every cell phone comes with some sort of video recorder. I love my Flip video cameras and still use them. Relatively cheap cameras are out there by Sony and other companies. Hearing someone with a plan on how to move newspapers into the digital age is actually a bit refreshing. Hearing more layoffs and consolidation is in the future plans too is disheartening.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why the hell would anyone want anything that got its roots in Torrington? :)

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Funny thing about the cell phones.

As our shop was dealing with at least the third major meltdown of our phone system, which was installed about a year ago (incoming calls always get busy signal, saved voice mail messages vaporized, etc.), one of the reporters wondered, "Why didn't they just buy all of us company cell phones?"

The answer -- given half jokingly, but 100 percent on the money by our city editor: "Because the cell phone companies don't advertise in the paper anymore."

That's newspaper management 101.

8. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Funny, but we're not using Scribus or other free stuff at our Digital First shop. Still using the Flips, though.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So the open source initiative was just a load of crap?

10. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Yup.

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I feel pretty strongly that video isn't the answer.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Herbert Anchovy reinvented himself. Why not Nick?

Draft saved Draft deleted