1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Byrne has more insight into our industry than most people running it

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pendleton, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Where have we heard these ideas before? Oh, that's right, from nearly everybody who has any kind of opinion about the degradation of our industry.

He makes some good points, but it's not like we haven't heard them before. And it's not like he's got some great solutions that will magically solve all the problems that plague our industry.

3. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

David Byrne needs to ... stop making sense.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Same as it ever was ... same as it ever was ... same as it ... EVER ... was.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Yup, yup, yup.
    I don't care if some of this is old. It's good whenever people write about the incompetent assholes who run the newspaper business. I loved his line bosses don't fire bosses. At least those bosses will be driven insane by the drivel written by, and unreliability, of the citizen journalists who work for free in the future.

6. Qu'est-que c'est?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I wonder if McClatchy will send Byrne a nasty note?
    The Times, at first, said McClatchy had made drastic cuts and it was the focus of the article. When it was pointed that they hadn't, the Times made some changes, but still couldn't keep from patting themselves on the back and didn't mention McClatchy, the DC bureau that generally got it right, was standing strong.

That being said, what Byrne wrote was hardly original and relied on local reporting to make his point. Just like many other blogs and such. I could read better opinion on the news business here.

8. Why do feel compelled whenever somebody mentions a band or singer in any context to just post a line from one of his songs?

You really think it's funny or clever?

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

It's more fun than ... burning down the house.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The more third parties who make the case for newspapers, the better. We may know the sermon chapter and verse, but the idea is for the message to reach the majority of people who don't.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for some folks here to tell David Byrne that he's being too negative and, by gosh, there still will be a need and an appetite for news and information, just in a different technology.

12. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

Thought that went without saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted