1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Bowie at 69, the Most Influential Living Musician

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I read somewhere that it was liver cancer, which is tied to Hepatitis C, which is tied to intravenous drug use.

He didn't die especially young, but it's still a shame if drug use cut his life short.

But, it's probably a miracle he lived through the 70's:

After he became Ziggy Stardust, and a huge star, Mr. Bowie found refuge at the West 20th Street apartment of his publicist, Cherry Vanilla. In her memoir, “Lick Me,” she recounts how he would do brain-sizzling amounts of cocaine and drink milk for nourishment (no solid food in those years), and they’d rap about “power, symbols, communication, music, the occult, Aleister Crowley and Merlin the Magician.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/17/fashion/david-bowie-invisible-new-yorker.html?_r=0

3. YankeeFan

And, how fucked up was Iggy Pop that David Bowie was the most viable guy he knew?

It's a nice story, but it's pretty crazy to think that as fucked up as Bowie was at the time, he provided stability and support for Pop:

The friendship was basically that this guy salvaged me from certain professional and maybe personal annihilation — simple as that,” said Mr. Pop, who is 68. “A lot of people were curious about me, but only he was the one who had enough truly in common with me, and who actually really liked what I did and could get on board with it, and who also had decent enough intentions to help me out. He did a good thing.”

He added, “He resurrected me.” Mr. Pop reflected: “He was more of a benefactor than a friend in a way most people think of friendship. He went a bit out of his way to bestow some good karma on me.”

They had lost touch after 2002, when Mr. Bowie hoped to sign Mr. Pop to his new record label — he was under contract elsewhere — and schedule conflicts prevented Mr. Pop from performing at the Meltdown festival in London that Mr. Bowie was curating.

Mr. Pop met Mr. Bowie in 1971, a period of excess when “we were all pretty bad but he was at least viable,” Mr. Pop said. In 1976, Mr. Bowie invited Mr. Pop to travel along with him as a “fly on the wall” on the tour following the release of Mr. Bowie’s album “Station to Station.” Onstage, Mr. Bowie portrayed his Thin White Duke character while flooded in white light.

“He was really disciplined,” Mr. Pop said. “That was at a time when it might be 700 people in Albuquerque, it might be 15,000 at the Garden, it might be 300 people in Zurich, etc. He did a great show every night. I don’t care where it was.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/arts/music/david-bowie-iggy-pop.html

dixiehack likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think there's any doubt that he wasn't a rock and roll suicide.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Except that nobody (with any reason to know the truth) has actually said it, and it's the kind of thing Bowie would likely have issued an explicit statement about.

I wouldn't be surprised either way.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Never has the NYT-mandated use of courtesy titles seemed so awkward.

Brian, YankeeFan, Huggy and 1 other person like this.
  7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Referring to Meat Loaf as "Mr. Loaf" remains the gold standard.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just downloaded that podcast. I've got a bit of a drive tomorrow to listen, as soon as I finish my Hardcore History episode about Cyrus the Great.
    I also downloaded their episode about the Moog.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I listened out of order and did the history of the Moog. That's a good show.
    I'm going to hit the Bowie episode later today.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up on Sound Opinions.
    I like that show. I listened to the Bowie episode and the Moog episode, and now I've downloaded several more.

11. YankeeFan

It can be hit and miss. Sometimes they get a little fixated on people you've never heard of, and never will hear of.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like learning about some obscure stuff, but most of what I've downloaded so far has been subjects with which I'm a little more familiar.
    I'm not going back through their entire library, just cherry-picking what seems interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted