1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Bowie at 69, the Most Influential Living Musician

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 8, 2016.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Springsteen fans are all over the map on what Bowie song Bruce will do in tribute to him Saturday at his tour opener.
    The more popular choices are Heroes; Rebel, Rebel; Suffragette City; and Bruce's own It's So Hard to be a Saint in the City (which Bowie covered). Other suggestions include Modern Love, Ziggy, TVC 15 (which Roy Bittan played on), and Rock n' Roll With Me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Modern Love would've been perfect if Clarence were still alive.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

When word is finally confirmed that he took his own life, I'd think Rock and Roll Suicide would be the appropriate choice.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Go on...

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Saint in the City" or "Growin' Up" would faintly smack of Bruce paying tribute to himself, too. He'd be better off doing a Bowie original.

I'd vote for "Heroes" and a straight segue into "The Ties That Bind" to kick off The River show.

6. Starman

7. Starman

This is probably the best place to put "tribute" clips:

Madonna does pretty well on "Rebel Rebel" in Houston (NSFW language):

Elton John in L.A. with a well-conceived but way-too-diddly medley of "Space Oddity" and "Rocket Man," which should have worked, but really didn't:

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Bruce just played Rebel, Rebel as the encore opener in Pittsburgh (watching/listening via Periscope). He went from that into his own Bobby Jean

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Not a tribute but I had never seen it until it was linked in a Bowie thread.

10. Starman

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Bowie was an influence - on one respect, anyway - on the Sex Pistols: Steve Jones stole their microphones from him.

Canuckistani MTV clone devoted lots of their programming to Bowie yesterday, loads of videos, interviews and a great doc focusing on five years of his career from the 70s/early 80s. Man, Mick Ronson was a great fucking guitarist.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted