1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Beckham missed last night's Galaxy game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Gird you loans Milan - Bend it is on the way.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

No, the loan spell wouldn't be able to happen until the transfer window opens in January, so those trips would be unaffected.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This one agrees with you:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-jones23-2008oct23,0,3098386.story

I don't know . . . on one hand, Beckham playing in MLS for a year and a half and maintaining a high level of play that makes him an asset to AC Milan and England, can only make MLS look good. Beckham going to Serie A is just a guy wanting to stay in shape so he can milk the last days of his international career with one of the great national teams. If he comes back to MLS on schedule, the Galaxy gets a guy who already worked harder than everyone else, but now completely in shape at the start of camp and serving as an example to a team that will be looking for inspiration if Donovan does indeed leave.

Other the other hand . . . it is absolutely true that Beckham's handlers have dictated much with the Galaxy; I compare it to Wayne Gretzky being de facto Kings GM and making brilliant moves like trading away Luc Robitaille for a past-his-prime Rick Tocchet.

I hate the idiotic "Beckham can't do THIS!!! He signed a $250 million CONTRACT!!!!!!!" bullcrap that some bloggers have used to rail against this move. No one has yet noted that if Beckham is playing in Serie A for the first part of the year, and will be 34 by the stretch of the 2009 MLS season, the Galaxy will have one tired-as-hell player on their hands by then.

MLS players have done loan spells in Eurpoe before. I believe Brian McBride got on the Euro map that way. This happens all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted