1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Beckham missed last night's Galaxy game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 22, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

RE: faking

AJ Pierzynski faked, well, something on the basepaths yesterday, and he was rewarded with a base when he was actually out. Nobody likes flops and fakes, but soccer isn't alone in that.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Aside from the fact that The Galaxy isn’t paying “bazillions,” David Beckham has played in 19 of the 21 games that the Galaxy has played. He missed two games. One of them was the most recent due to international duty.

I really do not understanding you all that much. You rant about the rules and then complain that the guy is missing too much when he really hasn’t.

The Galaxy is, obviously, not as notorious as the Dodgers. Then again, the Dodgers have been in LA for 50-years while the Galaxy has been in LA for 10. I don’t know why the Dodgers would have more of a following. It boggles my mind.

If you don’t like soccer, fine. It seems obvious that the game just isn’t for you. You don’t appreciate the intricacies. You don’t like the gamesmanship or thought involved to formulate a play on the go. The breaking down of a defense with the ball at your feet while having the awareness to know where your teammates is just not for you. That is fine. But don’t ever claim you “gave it a chance.”

The things that soccer fans like, you dislike. No biggie. Just don’t be a fraud about it.

[/quote]

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. I accidently knocked myself out when I whapped myself upside the head for being stupid enough to get into an argument with soccerfan.
    -- In most instances where players are taking dives, they are ridiculed, and nowhere else except soccer do the player act like they're about ready to die. Hockey put in a penalty against diving.
    -- To compare soccer's offside to football is apples and orange. It's more relevant to compare it to hockey. But there are damn few 0-0 hockey games. There are too damn many 0-0 soccer games.
    -- I only brought up the 90 minutes of running because that is what people who are pro-soccer always say to try to sell the sport. What wonderful athletes they are because they run constantly for 90 minutes. OK, they're wonderful athletes, but they don't run for 90 minutes. Hockey players have told me that if you're playing hard, you get tired in about 45 seconds.
    -- Look, the initial post on this thread knocked Beckham for missing a game. I think he should be at the games since he accepted their money. All of you "in the know" are excusing him because it is common to miss league games for national team duty. Then you are criticizing the league for bad scheduling. I pointed out that the previous league didn't know what it was doing. And you're saying this league doesn't know what it is doing ... but it is better.
    OK, whatever you say. I better stop. I don't want another concussion.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

One, that is one, 0-0 draw in MLS in the last month.

Thanks for playing, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Poor SoCalDude.

Having his "facts" corrected makes his head hurt.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

One of these days, I'll understand why people insist on shitting on sports they don't get.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You didn't get the memo? Soccer and its concept of tied games threatens American's very way of life.

It must be destroyed.

7. sportschick

Is that why the NHL went to a shootout in OT?

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Pretty much. You see, having both teams play each other evenly for 65 minutes, only to end tied is no good.

Winners are required for fans to feel elation or disappointment. You can't go home saying, 'well they played well, got a point, and lets win the next one.'

9. sportschick

That explains so much.

I think baseball should go to a home run derby after 10 innings.

10. Piotr Rasputin

I was watching some 10-year-olds play volleyball the other day. They could barely hit the ball over the net, and when the match ended, the kids fought over who gets the trophy.

So based on that, all volleyball sucks.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I guess I did a poor job of explaining that I really do GET soccer, and I explained the reasons why I don't like it.
    It's always a weak retort to say you don't like it because you don't get it. Come on, Sportschick, you're better than that.

No problem with tie games.

July 27, 2008 -- Chicago 0, Kansas City 0
    Aug. 23, 2006 -- San Jose 0, Chivas USA 0
    Don't let the door hit you in the head, you'll be feeling like I do right now.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Why would a Chivas USA/San Jose game from two years ago matter?

(yes, I know it was a typo . . .San Jose was Houston in 2006).

Draft saved Draft deleted