1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Beckham missed last night's Galaxy game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a dissenting opinion as I know it is bad form to say anything bad about soccer.

I accpet your explanation but please don't try and tell us that proffesiona soccer in the USA will always be nothing more than a 2nd tier sport with policies like this one.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Boom's not a "dissenting opinion" on soccer. He's more content to simply remain a dunce, poking the nest when it suits him, bringing nothing other than a loud mouth.

In any event . . .

I always love when people say "Hey man, I gave soccer a CHANCE!!!!!"

What the F$%# does that mean?

"OK . . .if the U.S. wins the World Cup, I could be a fan."

"Well . . if this game ends 5-4 and my hometown team wins, I could be a fan."

"If a dude can score six goals in this game, I could be a fan."

Again, what the hell does that mean? "I gave it a chance to dazzle me, and it was found wanting, man! I was fair! I gave it a CHANCE!!!!!!!!!"

Regarding international games: The fact MLS (please, poindexter, never "the" MLS; do you say "The" Major League Baseball?) loses players to international friendlies and qualifiers is actually a pretty good indicator that the league's status has improved over the last decade. At 33, David Beckham is still an important part of the England National Team. And he chose MLS over AC Milan and Real Madrid, two of the great soccer teams in the world. Because he wants to be an actor, right? Suuuuure. Dumbf&#%s.

Landon Donovan is essential to the U.S. National team, and he's in MLS (yes, he should be elsewhere, but I have no issue with him selling tickets here). Blanco was out of the Mexican team, but performances in MLS have gotten him back in the mix.

But hey, better to piss and moan about someone missing a midseason game without actually considering WHY. Is MLS less important than the national teams? Sure it is. All leagues are. Did you bellyache when members of the U.S. men's basketball Olympic team said a Gold Medal shot trumps an NBA title? Be honest, now.

Once again:

Soccer fans do not care if you like the sport. We do not care if you bash the sport. We do take notice if you bash it in a way that spreads ignorance about the sport. And we are happy to correct your minimal reading of the facts involved. It is not in our interest to explain to you why we like the game, and it is not for us to tell you why you should like it. It's something we love, and we are perfectly content to live and let live.

But when your takes on "soccer" lean toward bashes that have to do with your lack of understanding regarding the governing bodies of the sport both internationally and in its various regions and leagues, and your views clearly show a person who has their head in their ass, then education must commence.

Especially for the damn non-journalists who gleefully wade in here with their complete stupidity when it comes to soccer.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WFW.

We'll stick to The Soccer Thread, except when y'all are making idiotic, uninformed posts about the sport.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I feel this same way about any great number of things, and it took me a while to get to that point.

Well-said.

5. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Exactly.

Let's leave it at that and hope this thread will be locked soon.

There's no more reason to engage in a discussion started by someone sparking an debate without being educated on the factual basis of their argument.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I don't follow the sport all that much, but i can respect and understand beckham's decision.

7. Boom_70

But the person who started the thread is a big soccer fan and also a big Galaxy fan so I think his post has more credibility.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He is not a big soccer fan, otherwise he would have known that was an international date.

9. Boom_70

Corrected

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have to admit Boom, you've got this troll business down pat.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Frankly, I'd say Beckham participating in high profile event like the Olympics closing ceremonies is more valuable to the Galaxy than playing in a game when their season isn't going anywhere.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've been going to Galaxy games since they were playing in the Rose Bowl. I used to take my kids by the site of the HDC when it was under construction to see how it would look. My daughter and I have never missed a USMT game since they've been at HDC. I lost track of the England friendly schedule... so shoot me.

I wanted Beckham to be a big deal. He's not. At all. He's a nothing. The Galaxy is mediocre with him, and the 12th man on the Lakers makes a bigger impression on the Los Angeles sporting scene. I cringed when he signed and Alexi Lalas bragged about what a big deal he is. All the hype, all the build up... and pffft.

Oh, but he's there at the Lakers games and ESPN award shows and Olympic closing ceremonies. His wife hangs out with Tom Cruise's fake wife. But he is a complete nothing, sporting-wise in the city where he plays. What a poser. Go home and take your stupid neck tat.

Draft saved Draft deleted