1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

David Beckham missed last night's Galaxy game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Aug 22, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So he could be in London for part of the Olympic closing ceremonies (London is hosting in 2012)

Nothing says "The MLS is a complete waste of time" like missing games to participate in transcontinental ceremonies.

Stay over there, David.

2. Plus the fact that he played in England's game against the Czech Republic the night before. Which means there was no chance he was going to play in two soccer games in consecutive days.

Get your facts straight you dirty little perv.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Beckham, Jimmy Page in Beijing Olympic handover to 2012 Games

www.chinaview.cn 2008-08-22 18:32:11
    BEIJING, Aug. 22 (Xinhua) -- Footballer David Beckham, British singer Leona Lewis and guitarist Jimmy Page will appear in an eight-minute segment in the Olympic handover to London 2012 at the closing ceremony of the Beijing Games, said the London Olympics organizer on Friday.

Lord Sebastian Coe, chairman of the London Organizing Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games 2012, told a press conference here that the segment in the closing ceremony on Sunday would be "young and vibrant."

It will "show the cultural diversity, the great city of London, modern and contemporary dances and elements of Olympics and Paralympics."

The eight-minute contribution to the finale was said to cost 2 million pounds (3.74 million U.S. dollars). Beckham will arrive on a red double-decker bus, according to earlier media reports

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-08/22/content_9616705.htm

4. poindexter

Yeah, he had to be there for that all-important friendly with the Czech Republic. My bad.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If he's part of the national team, then he should be present and available for all its games. Period.

6. You're absolutely clueless. Just stop. England is breaking in a new manager and they're preparing for World Cup qualifying. The Czech Republic is a strong team and an important test. Soccer players from every country in the world leave their club teams for national team games all the time.

Look, if you're wrong, you're wrong. Just admit it and move along.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes. He could have asked his coach to not bring him in. However, if Beckham would like to remain the good graces of his national teammates as well as the fans, then he should show up. The team has no right to say that he cannot go.

Blanco, a Mexican national team player, also missed last night's game. He did not need to fly multiple time zones, but he also was unable to return in time.

Blame MLS for being dumb enough to schedule a game on the day after an international date. Don't blame the players for choosing country over club.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Look, I hate agreeing with Fudgie on anything, but Beckham did nothing wrong.

Who better to get people psyched for the 2012 games than England's best musician and best athlete.

Slightly more important than a MLS game.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Landon Donovan wasn't there either. MLS is meaningless.

10. poindexter

Blanco played in a qualifier, not a friendly, but I am going to take a powder on this one. I will go stand in the corner for one hour.

Enjoy the closing ceremonies, David.

11. I'll assume you're joking.

12. poindexter

The point, made in an extremely ham-handed way, forgetting that Beckham had a friendly, is that Beckham is a complete zero in the mainstream LA sports scene. The back-up qb for USC has a more prominent role.

And he's really made no discernible difference in the standings. It really isn't surprising, but remembering Lalas' comments about Beckham when he arrived, there was such a buildup, and he's pretty much made no difference at all.

I find it irritating that he is in London for the closing ceremonies while the Galaxy flog in mediocrity. Knowing he doesn't have another game until Aug 30.

The Poin whipping can continue, I can take it.

Draft saved Draft deleted