1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Davenport wins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportschick, Sep 16, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ewwww.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Haha. Not me, but I know a lot of guys who think Lindsay's attractive. She's not my type. :D

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Ok, my bad sportschick.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

If she can make it back to winning form for the Aussie Open (if she even wants to shirk mom duty long enough to play), that would be a far more compelling comeback than Capriati's a few years back. Go, Lindsay.

5. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

AND she is now a member of the MILF club. what a good day.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The number of mothers playing on the tour is practically zero.

Davenport, Sybille Bammer and Rosanna de los Rios.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think that's damn impressive.

When her career wins, I do hope she gets her due. For an 18-to-24 month span, she was the best player in the world. Unfortunately, her run was sandwiched between the Graf/Hingis and Williams sister eras.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And you both have something in common with me.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe you have to go all the way back to Yvonne Goolagong to find a Grand Slam-winning mom.

10. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Not to take anything away from her at all, but she beat a couple of top players who also are probably the two busiest players on tour in terms of the number of weeks they play.

Jankovic was on fumes by the U.S. Open (if not before). I think she has 29 weeks on the computer, and Daniela Hantuchova, who also plays doubles every week, is close and had a virus the last month or so.

Let's face it; that tournament gets big players to show up because it's at the Hyatt resort in freakin' Bali. I'm betting they spend more time on the beach than on the court. ;-)))

Davenport, to the good, was as fresh as they come. She even said it was the first time in four years that her lower extremities didn't hurt at all.

It also shows what a good player she is; she didn't have a ton of speed to start with, so there wasn't that much to lose. And the strokes are golden.

It was a small tourney, in terms of it being a 32 draw. So five matches, three pretty easy.

Grand Slam is seven. She's playing Beijing this week, and has a beauty draw there to at least get to the semi-finals.

Apparently she's thinking 10-12 events next year. But mostly, she wants to play in the Olympics. That's what's behind this.

It's all good stuff. Great story. Although I have to admit I'm shocked because I never thought she really enjoyed it all that much, particularly the last few years with all her injuries. Seemed like she couldn't wait to get out. And she was barely out.

I always had the feeling Hingis would come back, because she was so young when she "retired." Davenport was dark side of 30. Been at it awhile.

I expect Kim Clijsters to do the same thing. Being away for a bit, and healing up all the things that hurt, can give a new perspective. So can being married to a second-rate basketball player relegated to Belgium. Won't exactly get all the love and adoration she's used to.

Draft saved Draft deleted