1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Parker: Stigma of drug use kept me out of the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I could agree with that to a point. Stargell was a great hitter but Parker was the more complete player at his peak.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Stargell was a slugger. Parker was a player. Big difference. Both could hurt you but Parker could run, hit and throw. Stargell was a slightly above average fielder and a big-time clutch hitter.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Parker led the league in batting average, slugging, stole 20 bases, won a Gold Glove and had argueably the best outfield throwing arm.

If he played in New York, they would have been calling him Willie Mays for those few seasons. Stargell had light tower power, though. Parker never hit the moon-shots Chicken on the Hill did.

No way should Stargell have won the 1979 MVP, but he played on a winning team...

4. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Mark McGwire prefers to look forward, knowing he won't have to give a Hall of Fame speech either.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd vote for Dave Parker before I'd ever vote for McGwire.

There's a big difference between drug use because you're stupid and drug use because you're cheating.

The only steroid era people (of those who have been linked to steroids) who I would vote for would be Bonds, A-Rod and Clemens, because all three were headed to Cooperstown long before they were using... Even then, it's not an easy vote.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<i>Ever</i> was? No. Stargell had some huge HR seasons while still posting a decent average, was a much underrated defensive LFer and had a strong, accurate arm that never got noticed much because Clemente was playing the other corner.

Stargell played seven seasons in Forbes Field, which was death for power hitters. Stargell had 1,158 fewer plate appearances and hit 136 more HRs than Parker. That was playing in a park that was tough for power for seven years and playing six years when the mound was higher.

Draft saved Draft deleted