1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Parker: Stigma of drug use kept me out of the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So sayeth the Cobra in an AP story today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-parker-halloffame&prov=ap&type=lgns

If he means that his drug use turned him into a banjo-hitting lardball for his last three years in Pittsburgh, then maybe he's got a point. But I don't think anyone is refusing to vote for him as a Hall-of-Famer because he was a cokehead.

Look, he was as good an all-around player as there was in the National League from about 1975-80 and he had some damn fine years later on with the Reds, but he's a borderline-at-best candidate based on his entire career. But taking his entire career --- and not just his peak --- into account, was he a better player than Andre Dawson or Dale Murphy or Dwight Evans, none of whom is in the Hall, either?

I don't know that he was ...

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Parker > Murph.
    Parker >> Dewey.
    Parker >>> Hawk.

Parker = Hall of Fame. Not saying he's not borderline, but he was pretty dominant for those five years, and wasn't too shabby from 1985-90, either. Put him in (after Bert, of course.)

Coke, however, has nothing to do with anything.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

His Hall merits aside (and I wouldn't put him in; was woodwork by the early 1980s, except for one awesome season with the Reds), he sure wasn't the Man as long as Stargell was around.

4. X-Hack

X-Hack Active Member

I'd put him in. And the PED controversy makes Dawson, Dewey and Murphy each look better than they otherwise would have. Trammell too, though comparing him to those other guys is an apples-and-oranges comparison.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I agree on Murphy and Evans. Dawson, though, I think is a wash when compared with Parker, who had 10 points on him in ba but was 100 homers and 100 RBI short of Hawk.

6. Oz

Oz Active Member

I look at Jim Rice and wonder how Parker didn't get the same consideration, because to me, they were basically the same guy during the same time frame.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Parker was a much better defender for what it's worth. Plus he didn't have the luxury of DH'ing when necessary.

I don't think he's an HOF'er but he was one of the most feared hitter in the NL for several years. Load him up on PEDs and keep him off coke and he probably breaks the HR record.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Drug use is keeping Parker out of the Hall of Fame -- because being coked up, fat and out of shape (amazing you could get fat on coke) sent him off a cliff for a while. He recovered to some decent years post-1985, but his numbers suffered from all that time lost during his prime.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's kind of what I hinted at in the first post. I searched and searched for the image of Parker's 1983 Topps card, but couldn't find it. He looks like a friggin' whale.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

I notice a substantial difference.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/jon_heyman/12/28/daily.scoop

/tx.rice.parker.jpg

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The same thing happened to Steve Howe.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

An actual cocaine bust didn't keep Ferguson Jenkins out of the Hall, nor should it have.

Draft saved Draft deleted