1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Morgan to USA Today

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Don't know Dave, I do know his rep at Yahoo! was rock solid and he had some very loyal people. I wonder if any will join him?

http://www.mobilesportsreport.com/2011/10/usa-today-taps-yahoo-sports-exec-to-head-sports-content/

2. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Can't remember the last time USA Today was relevant in sports coverage, especially online.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just posted (without the link) in the Forde thread about it. Heard it a couple of days ago.

Great pickup for USAT/Gannett.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can't remember the last time someone went from an online outlet to a print outlet, even if it is to run the latter's online operations.

Either this says a lot about the future of Yahoo (screw the exclamation point) Sports or Morgan's popularity there w/higher-ups--neither of which are any good.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Congrats to Dave, who is one of the good ones.

Wish I had a current email address.

6. VJ

VJ Member

Well reading between the lines he isn't running the USA TODAY sports operation, he's running the USAT/Gannett sports online operation which is a little bit different. Sounds like they're trying to build out a network of sites a la SBNation, Big Lead Sports, etc.

7. I have to imagine that Morgan will be executing a pretty massive makeover, which seems like a terrific idea because USA Today hasn't exactly had the most impressive web presence.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Anyone know what happened to Morgan at Yahoo? I mean, why was he ousted?

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Any fellow reporter or editor who ever worked with Morgan would probably follow him anywhere.

I know I would, if I were still in the business. The L.A. Times should have tried its level best to get him back -- if he'd have had it, which, at this point, I doubt he ever would.

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Big loss for Yahoo!

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, they lost him a while ago, but you're right, it was.

12. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

I look forward to see what Mr. Morgan can do to help USA Today Sports become a competition to the bigger outlets.

Draft saved Draft deleted