1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Meggett vs. Reggie Bush

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by fishwrapper, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

For my money, it's close between LDT and Adrian Peterson for the most dangerous back in the league.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I don't know, Mizzou. I think you've got to mention Westbrook over Peterson. If I was picking a back to build a team around right now, it'd probably be Tomlinson or Peterson.

But as far as pure danger goes, I'm positive no running back in the league alters gameplans more than Westbrook.

And fishwrap: My argument is you can't compare Bush to Megget or Metcalf, because the way the Saints use Bush isn't even close to the way the Browns or Giants used their respective players.

Bush was supposed to be Faulk or Westbrook. He isn't close to either. Therefore, he is a bust. But you are right - Bush really is a Metcalf or Megget, and the Saints would probably be better off using him as such, rather than trying to make him a Faulk.

3. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

If we are talking about return/RB hybrid players, the guy who always gets overlooked is Brian Mitchell, who spent so many seasons with the Redskins and Giants. The guy is second on the NFL's all-time list for all-purpose yardage with 23,316 yards. He trails only Jerry Rice (23,546). Metcalf is 12th on that list, and Meggett is 34th.

Mitchell
    388 car., 1,917 yards, 12 TDs (5.1 avg)
    255 rec., 2,336 yards, 4 TDs (9.2 avg)
    464 PR, 4,999 yards, 9 TDs (10.8 avg)
    607 KR, 14,014 yards, 4 TDs (23.1 avg)

Bush:
    312 car., 1,146 yards, 10 TDs (3.7 avg)
    161 rec., 1,159 yards, 4 TDs (7.2 avg)
    31 PR, 228 yards, 1 TD (7.4 avg)

Meggett:
    398-1,684 rushing, 4.2 avg
    336-3,038 receiving, 9.0 avg
    349 punt returns, 10.6 avg, 7 TDs
    252 kickoff returns, 22.1 avg, 1 TD

Metcalf:
    630-2,392 rushing, 3.8 avg
    541-5,572 receiving, 10.3 avg
    351 punt returns, 9.8 avg, 10 TDs
    280 kickoff returns, 20.8 avg, 2 TDs

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I'm not sure if he was ever a return threat, but how about Ronnie Harmon? He could certainly catch the ball out of the backfield.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Westbrook over Peterson? That's laughable. Westbrook is multitalented, but there are some things he can't do well. If it's 4th-and-1 for your season, you feel comfortable handng the ball off to Westbrook? Peterson is bigger, faster and stronger. He can run over and around any player on the field. Hell, he set the single-game rushing record in what, his third start?

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

If you take a poll of NFL GMs and head coaches and ask them who'd they'd rather have to gameplan for in a playoff game, I guarantee a majority say Peterson.

That, to me, is the eptiome of danger.

Ask them who they'd take to build a team around, and most would probably side with Peterson. But that wasn't the contention Mizzou made.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

So, next season:
    Do you think teams playing the Texans will spend more time talking about Mario Williams, than teams playing New Orleans and Reggie Bush?

Draft saved Draft deleted