1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Matthews

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Shaggy, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

My brother-in-law dated Cara Black -- nice girl. She just won the Aussie Open women's doubles title.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My hatred of Dave Matthews borders on irrational. I've seen him live twice from about the 6th row and have never been more bored at a concert.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Seen him twice. And I got completely the opposite impression.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I saw him twice and could take it or leave it.

One of his shows provided one of my most memorable concert moments, though. That's when 21-year-old drunk girl pushed my 12-year-old daughter aside to get closer to the stage, and daughter's 39-year-old mother got very, very close to throwing down with drunk girl right there in front of the stage. And Matthews, singing "Ants Marching" at the time, actually was watching the goings-on with an amused expression on his face.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't like the music so I've never seen him live.

6. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

He's not African-American, he's just African. He was born there. Same with Ernie Els. Dave's children were born in the U.S., so they're African-American, I guess.
    I've been to seven DMB shows but none for three or four years. I want to see another one sometime. When's he coming out with a new album?

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I've seen two live shows and was not impressed (one in a downpour, the other in 110-degree heat), but the guy can write a damned song. In the discussion of the best songwriters born between 1962 and 1980, he merits consideration.

8. subhead

subhead Member

Tiger is Asian-American.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Frank Beard of ZZ Top is the only member of the band who did not sport a beard.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Shouldn't he be Asian-African-American?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's easier just to say "cobblination."

12. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

If you're trying for Tiger's self-proclaimed ethnic mix, that would be cablinasian.

Ca -- caucasian
    bl -- black
    in -- indian
    asian -- pretty self explanatory

http://www.salon.com/april97/tiger970430.html

And then Tiger Woods said he wasn't actually "black" at all -- he was "Cablinasian."

Woods made his remarks on "Oprah," when he was asked if it bothered him to be called an African-American. "It does," he said. "Growing up, I came up with this name: I'm a 'Cablinasian.'" As in Caucasian-black-Indian-Asian. Woods has a black father (or to be precise, if I am interpreting Woods' reported ancestry correctly, a half-black, one-quarter American Indian, one-quarter white father) and a Thai mother (or, with the same caveat, a half-Thai, half-Chinese mother). "I'm just who I am," Woods told Oprah Winfrey, "whoever you see in front of you."

Draft saved Draft deleted