1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dave Krieger leaving Denver Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Jan 7, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Columnist Dave Krieger, my former colleague at the Rocky Mountain News who was one of a handful to get picked up by the Denver Post in March 2009 after Scripps went into the fetal position, is leaving the paper later this month to co-host a drive-time show on 50,000-watt (and Broncos station) KOA with Broncos radio voice and powerhouse Mullen High School football coach Dave Logan.

Congrats to Dave.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_19689716

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Armstrong gets fired, Krieger leaves and Paige is Paige. ... Mark Kiszla, it's all on you.

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Still listen to KOA on my phone some afternoons. Best of luck.

4. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

From a reader far removed from the Denver area, Krieger was good but definitely not great.

Can he be replaced? Surely...

Can he be replaeced by someone who is uninteresting as a coulumnist? Surely...

Can he be replaced by someone who is better than he has been? Surely... Might I suggest Bernie Lincicome?

5. Matt Stephens

Hope the DP does, but there might not be a replacement.

6. MileHigh

I'm quite certain there won't be a replacement.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Better that journalists leave a newspaper than for a newspaper to leave journalists.

Git while the gittin's good.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think we can all bet the house he won't be replaced. Sports lost a couple in the latest round of buyouts and word is there will be a round of layoffs in the next 3-6 months if they decide that not enough people took the buyout. Since only two in sports did, that might seem likely.

I enjoyed Krieger as a columnist. He was definitely best at NBA columns, which was obviously his strength after covering the Nuggets forever.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Has MediaNews consolidated the staffs of their Northern Colorado papers with the Post? For example, does the same guy cover the University of Colorado for all the papers or is it still separately staffed?

10. MileHigh

Still separate.

11. MileHigh

Dave talks to Michael Roberts on why he's leaving. Basically, the Post told him to choose: The radio show on KOA or staying on as a full-time columnist but not both.

And a very blunt assessment of the past three years:

When asked to look back on his memories of the Rocky and the Post, he concedes that "they're pretty different, because there was a very different corporate culture. I grew up at the Rocky; I spent 27 years there. And the Post was a more complicated deal for me.

"To be perfectly honest about it, I was hired by the Post principally to help keep Rocky subscribers from dropping. That's probably true about most of the Rocky people, but I was the only one originally hired in sports, and I think it's fair to say that within the sports department, they didn't really feel they needed me. The normal complement of sports columnists at a metro daily is two, and they had two. I became kind of a third wheel, and I'm not sure I adapted all that well to it. It was different from being part of the foundation at the Rocky."

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2012/01/dave_krieger_leaves_denver_post_koa.php

12. Matt Stephens

Like Mile High said, separate, but I don't know if I'd call the Daily Camera NoCo. The Loveland Reporter-Herald's SE Mike Brohard covers CSU for his paper, but Chris Dempsey, this year, (and Meisler before him) still covered the Rams for the Post. That being said, if MediaNews ever buys The Coloradoan (Fort Collins) from Gannett, I could see things changing since FoCo and Loveland are neighboring towns.

Draft saved Draft deleted